Premed 101 Forums

Applying to OT 2014

Hey,

I am confused about the emerging trends essay. I wrote my essay as a research essay with quotes and citations. I got someone else to read it over and that person feels like I answered the question wrong and that it should be strictly an opinion paper without research (quotes, citations, etc.). I was wondering if anyone has this issue? I don't know how you would answer the question without having research to back it up.

Wrote mine last year and got into Queens with a cumGPA of 3.1 or 3.2. Don't need citations to back up what you say. Instead, choose trends you learned about from your volunteer/work experience in rehab and healthcare that relates to OT. They want to read about what you learned from your experiences. Good luck.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just started my ORPAS application and I know Confidential Assessment Forms for McMaster aren't necessary, but does that mean the application doesn't require you to list 3 referees? I'm only planning on applying to McMaster since OT was a relatively recent career choice, and I'm currently setting up job shadowing and volunteering.

I just started my ORPAS application and I know Confidential Assessment Forms for McMaster aren't necessary, but does that mean the application doesn't require you to list 3 referees? I'm only planning on applying to McMaster since OT was a relatively recent career choice, and I'm currently setting up job shadowing and volunteering.

Do we need to list 3 references? I don't recall any of the schools specifically asking for three though there is the option to enter three. Correct me if I am wrong though!

Do we need to list 3 references? I don't recall any of the schools specifically asking for three though there is the option to enter three. Correct me if I am wrong though!

No I don't believe we need 3 references. Because ORPAS allows you to apply to PT, SLP and audiology through the same site that's why there are spaces for 3 references - as I believe some of those programs need more. As for Mac - all they look at is your SubGPA prior to the interview process. Although I would still suggest pursuing your job shadows and research as they will highly aid in your responses to interview questions.

No I don't believe we need 3 references. Because ORPAS allows you to apply to PT, SLP and audiology through the same site that's why there are spaces for 3 references - as I believe some of those programs need more. As for Mac - all they look at is your SubGPA prior to the interview process. Although I would still suggest pursuing your job shadows and research as they will highly aid in your responses to interview questions.

Thanks a lot for the help :)

Did anyone send a hard copy of their Essays to ORPAS as well as their resume?

For example for Queens - are you just printing out what you wrote in the ORPAS submissions sections?

I'm not sure about everyone else but I printed out my actual resume/CV that I would give to employers or other grad schools asking for curriculum vitae's.

I don't believe so although because my essays had a few typo's in them when I called ORPAS they said if I wanted to I could send a 'revised' copy of my essays with my resumes but that this was not recommended. Thus my essays are staying as is, typo's and all - here's hoping they still consider me, stuff happens right. :)

Does anyone know if Queen's requires a resume and CV?

A woman who works at the career center at my school told me I need to send a CV to Queen's but in the application manual I can't find that information anywhere.

Yes Queen's requires a resume/CV that are sent directly ORPAS, and they will add it into your application package that will be sent to schools. I believe if you have applied to UofT you will need to send 2 copies (one for each school). The rules in the application manual state:

“A resumé is required. Resumés must be typed in 11‑point font, on 8.5" x 11" paper, single‑sided, with one‑inch margins on all four edges. They should be no longer than two pages. A cover sheet should be included, containing the applicant’s name and OUAC/ORPAS IT or Reference Number. The OUAC/ORPAS IT or Reference Number must be recorded in the top right corner of each page; however, the applicant’s name must not appear anywhere on the resumé itself. All resumés should be mailed directly to ORPAS.”

Hope this helps.

Yes Queen's requires a resume/CV that are sent directly ORPAS, and they will add it into your application package that will be sent to schools. I believe if you have applied to UofT you will need to send 2 copies (one for each school). The rules in the application manual state:

“A resumé is required. Resumés must be typed in 11‑point font, on 8.5" x 11" paper, single‑sided, with one‑inch margins on all four edges. They should be no longer than two pages. A cover sheet should be included, containing the applicant’s name and OUAC/ORPAS IT or Reference Number. The OUAC/ORPAS IT or Reference Number must be recorded in the top right corner of each page; however, the applicant’s name must not appear anywhere on the resumé itself. All resumés should be mailed directly to ORPAS.”

Hope this helps.

Okay so I have my resume for both schools but I don't see where it says I need a CV? Also can you clarify what they mean by a cover sheet? I was told that it is just a blank page with your name and reference number.

Okay so I have my resume for both schools but I don't see where it says I need a CV? Also can you clarify what they mean by a cover sheet? I was told that it is just a blank page with your name and reference number.

A resume and CV are pretty similar, I don't think I've seen any schools asking for both. And yes the cover page ends up looking pretty bare, just your name and ORPAS number, make sure your name doesn't appear anywhere else in the resume.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, it's almost that time! My application deadline for Dal OT is Jan 31. So excited! I have no idea if I have a chance of getting in or not, but I am hoping for the best. I plan to have everything submitted on Monday. However, I'm still waiting on one of my references and so I am pretty sure I'll have to deliver it by hand so it gets in on time. I don't think I can trust her to submit it to the school herself. Gah! Anyone else having to pester referees to get letters finished?

• 2 weeks later...

I am applying to OT for the first time this year and getting anxious about my GPA being competitive. I am a bit unsure due to my undergrad being at UBC and we deal mostly with percentages. I am seeing posts with 3.67+ as being competitive but I am curious if this is on a 4.0 or 4.33 scale.

Does anyone know the norm for Canadian universities? I am applying to UofT, Western, UofA and UBC. I am sitting at a subGPA (last 20 courses) of 85%...not sure what my chances are!!

Archived