Premed 101 Forums

Special Year Clarification

Ok, so my situation is that after 4 years of undergrad, I did not have a high enough average to graduate with an honours degree (long story short: I was stuck in the 3-year plan but never did anything to raise my average to get back into the honours plan). I ended up doing a 5th year, where I scored a 3.92 and effectively raised my average high enough to graduate with an honours degree.

I plan on doing one more year before graduating to give myself 2 years above the cutoff. However I need to know if this year would be considered a "special year" by Western. I have enough credits to graduate, I just haven't put in a request yet. Are both years considered special? If that's the case I'm truly screwed.

If someone familiar with Western's admissions could clear this up for me and/or offer some guidance it would be much appreciated.

Ok, so my situation is that after 4 years of undergrad, I did not have a high enough average to graduate with an honours degree (long story short: I was stuck in the 3-year plan but never did anything to raise my average to get back into the honours plan). I ended up doing a 5th year, where I scored a 3.92 and effectively raised my average high enough to graduate with an honours degree.

I plan on doing one more year before graduating to give myself 2 years above the cutoff. However I need to know if this year would be considered a "special year" by Western. I have enough credits to graduate, I just haven't put in a request yet. Are both years considered special? If that's the case I'm truly screwed.

If someone familiar with Western's admissions could clear this up for me and/or offer some guidance it would be much appreciated.

To my understanding as long as you have not graduated, it will not be considered a special year. Assuming you meet the other criteria and MCAT cutoff, you could actually apply this year using the conditional offer route.

This is from their FAQ

10. Does Schulich Medicine allow applicants to take additional undergraduate years to improve their academic standing?

Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized North American university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school.

To my understanding as long as you have not graduated, it will not be considered a special year. Assuming you meet the other criteria and MCAT cutoff, you could actually apply this year using the conditional offer route.

This is from their FAQ

10. Does Schulich Medicine allow applicants to take additional undergraduate years to improve their academic standing?

Applicants who have earned a degree from a recognized North American university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school.

Ok thanks, I actually do plan on applying this year. I was just a little worried about how "earned a degree" could be interpreted.

That reminds me of another question though. Do you need to indicate on your OMSAS application that you are going for a conditional acceptance somehow? I've pretty much finished with my app but I haven't seen anything.

Ok thanks, I actually do plan on applying this year. I just wanted to be sure my plan of action was acceptable.

That reminds me of another question though. Do you need to indicate on your OMSAS application that you are going for a conditional acceptance somehow? I've pretty much finished with my app but I haven't seen anything.

I am not sure about 2013 but in 2011 it wasn't required. If you are accepted in the offer it will tell you it's conditional and how to confirm you've fulfilled the requirement.

Archived