Premed 101 Forums

Best way to study for USMLE

Hey, just wanted your opinion on this.

Recently I decided I would write the USMLE step 1 and I plan to do so in december or january. Problem is i begin my junior clerkship rotations this fall (rural FM, ped, psych) and I'm a bit confused on how I can manage to succeed in my rotations AND study adequately for the USMLE and be ready for the exam. Some people told me that you have to study full-time for months, yet other people told me that the USMLE World Qbank was enough :confused: . I'm not aiming for a particularly high score because i'm not interested in a residency in the US. I'm mainly doing it for fellowship opportunities and (maybe) future practice down there.

SO: in order to PASS the exam, how much time should I invest in studying and what would be the best way ?

Recently I decided I would write the USMLE step 1 and I plan to do so in december or january. Problem is i begin my junior clerkship rotations this fall (rural FM, ped, psych) and I'm a bit confused on how I can manage to succeed in my rotations AND study adequately for the USMLE and be ready for the exam. Some people told me that you have to study full-time for months, yet other people told me that the USMLE World Qbank was enough :confused: . I'm not aiming for a particularly high score because i'm not interested in a residency in the US. I'm mainly doing it for fellowship opportunities and (maybe) future practice down there.

SO: in order to PASS the exam, how much time should I invest in studying and what would be the best way ?

The amount of study time you need depends on your foundation. I suggest taking a practice NBME form and seeing how you do. The score you get is predictive of how you might do on the actual USMLE and the report will also show your areas of strengths and weaknesses.

Would fellowships look at your step 1 scores? I wouldn't just aim for a pass to be honest, once you pass you cannot do it again.

Archived