Premed 101 Forums

Regarding Grading Schemes

loki22

I'm really uncertain about how grading schemes work at university level. I understand that when you apply to medical school they take a look at the letter grade per course - but what if you get an 88% in that course and it shows up as a B+?

Ex. a grading scheme for an elective I'm taking this semester:

3adk.png

Basically an 88% will give me a 3.3 GPA or a B+.

I'm pretty much screwed in terms of GPA eh?

I'm really uncertain about how grading schemes work at university level. I understand that when you apply to medical school they take a look at the letter grade per course - but what if you get an 88% in that course and it shows up as a B+?

Ex. a grading scheme for an elective I'm taking this semester:

3adk.png

Basically an 88% will give me a 3.3 GPA or a B+.

I'm pretty much screwed in terms of GPA eh?

well what school is this? for instance they often are just looking at the percentage - there is a school specific column on the OMSAS conversion table for GPA for instance in Ontario. If we know the school, we can tell you for Ontario at least how it is processed. Similarly it can be determine for other schools based on their rules :)

actually ouch if that is concordia(?) then they do look at the letter grade specifically - I wonder why that school's GPA conversion is so radically different the percentage ones. Is it somehow a much easier school?

I mean it is almost impossible to get a 4.0 in a course there. 98% or higher?

correct me if i'm wrong.

That seems to be an american GPA system

I've only seen 4.3 in terms of dental students applying to dental schools in the states

My school and the University of Manitoba also use a 4.3 scale, though I generally think of my GPA in terms of the OMSAS scale since most med schools use it and my grades are actually given as percentages. I'm sure there are other schools that use 4.3, though it seems odd to me.

My school and the University of Manitoba also use a 4.3 scale, though I generally think of my GPA in terms of the OMSAS scale since most med schools use it and my grades are actually given as percentages. I'm sure there are other schools that use 4.3, though it seems odd to me.

what worries me in the OPs case is that OMSAS specifically uses the letter grade for that school! They ignore the percentage. It seems like all the grades are discounted GPA wise, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Yep its Concordia, this grading scheme is for the AHSC department. Each dept has their own particular one..damn it.

APPARENTLY the AHSC program at Concordia was very easy a couple of years back so they enhanced the grading scheme, but with time the programs difficulty rose - the grading scheme stayed the same.

Should I drop the course? Its an elective - AHSC 220.

Seems like a legitimate way to counteract out the ease in achieving a high GPA at smaller universities. Was this grading scheme always present?

ha - it would have to be pretty easy to have a 4.0 set at 98%+. Not any room for error in that scheme.

Not all smaller universities are easier, and not all programs - OP that course seems to be setting up for a real challenge.

Obtaining an A+ at Concordia is doable with focus, smart and hard work. I was in another program. a1b1 also went to Concordia and regularly attained A+ and is now in med school. My weighted GPA for U/T was higher than 3.9.

So at that school then are relatively high percentages given out as the norm? For this to be fair then equally small/hard working people at any school would roughly get the same GPA - that is what the OMSAS conversions are trying to accomplish. The corollary of that is that unlike I suppose many schools I attended getting a 98%+ is quite possible - that routinely a fraction of the class would obtain that score.

Archived