Premed 101 Forums

Official University of Alberta 2014 Pharmacy Applicants - Class of 2018

pharmacy233

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know its early but with so many rumours about interviews and what not swirling I figured it would be nice to have a forum so we can all get to know more info throughout the year :) Post your stats and what not as you come :)

Hi there, Ive been accepted to Pharmacy Class of 2017. And indeed there will be interviews (MMI) for the next cycle in 2014, the letter of intent will be removed because of it.

The addition of interviews is an excellent decision by the faculty. I believe that you can truly display yourself better than a two page letter. However, on the website it states that the letter of intent is due March 1 2014, so does that mean there will still be a letter? Perhaps it would be used as a pre-screen for the interview?

Yea I have heard rumours of interviews but nothing on the website, that being said the new letter of intent hasn't even been posted yet so there is time? What is everyones GPA look at mine is currently a 3.61 and I applied this year after one year of prereqs but wasn't accepted so im trying to upgrade that to closer to a 3.8 this year :)

Yea I have heard rumours of interviews but nothing on the website, that being said the new letter of intent hasn't even been posted yet so there is time? What is everyones GPA look at mine is currently a 3.61 and I applied this year after one year of prereqs but wasn't accepted so im trying to upgrade that to closer to a 3.8 this year :)

Okay, nice! I guess we will just have to wait until they update the website. In the meantime, I may go and ask student services about the interviews.... I believe it is in the ECHA building.

I actually emailed the student services and the lady told me that there will be a short on-line interview ( a video capture in response to online questioning). So it's probably not an MMI, may be just a few basic questions?

My cumulative GPA is 3.9. Prerequisite GPA is 3.71. I'm hoping that will be competitive this year.

I actually emailed the student services and the lady told me that there will be a short on-line interview ( a video capture in response to online questioning). So it's probably not an MMI, may be just a few basic questions?

My cumulative GPA is 3.9. Prerequisite GPA is 3.71. I'm hoping that will be competitive this year.

Wow that is really interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Hello once again everyone!

This will be my third time applying. Now in 5th year General Science. I have been waitlisted the past two years in row at UofA and was also waitlisted at another school last year where I literally missed acceptance by the skin of my teeth.

Right now GPA's are approx: Pre-req - 3.4 Overall - 3.5

I am retaking some English courses this year to hopefully boost those marks up a bit.

Great volunteer experience and references (doesn't matter though at UofA), Excellent LOI

I'm disappointed if what they mean by "interview" means a simple video message. I had hoped there was going to be a full out MMI official interview, in person. So nonetheless, I guess it will almost certainly be about who has the highest grades, as it has been every year. If it turns out to be as competitive as it was last year (GPA wise) then it will be predictable as before.

This will be my last time applying to UofA Pharmacy. I have decided to wait off my degree for a year to apply one final time. If it doesn't work out this third and final time, it just may never work out and I'll be moving on to other schools.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Okay, nice! I guess we will just have to wait until they update the website. In the meantime, I may go and ask student services about the interviews.... I believe it is in the ECHA building.

@pharmhope13

I am surprised a 3.61 didn't get you in!:eek: Perhaps the applicant pool was more competitive last cycle. If you can upgrade your pGPA to 3.8, that would be awesome! I don't technically have any GPA right now as I am starting my pre reqs this year. Although, I do have AP credits in two requisite courses, and one english course done (Athabasca). So technically my pGPA right now is 4, but that is only for 3 courses and most likely won't last. I hope everyone gets in this year!!!

I have been told most people who got in are over a 3.7 the only exceptions are the people with masters in pharmacology, biophysics, and a double masters student. :(

Hello once again everyone!

This will be my third time applying. Now in 5th year General Science. I have been waitlisted the past two years in row at UofA and was also waitlisted at another school last year where I literally missed acceptance by the skin of my teeth.

Right now GPA's are approx: Pre-req - 3.4 Overall - 3.5

I am retaking some English courses this year to hopefully boost those marks up a bit.

Great volunteer experience and references (doesn't matter though at UofA), Excellent LOI

I'm disappointed if what they mean by "interview" means a simple video message. I had hoped there was going to be a full out MMI official interview, in person. So nonetheless, I guess it will almost certainly be about who has the highest grades, as it has been every year. If it turns out to be as competitive as it was last year (GPA wise) then it will be predictable as before.

This will be my last time applying to UofA Pharmacy. I have decided to wait off my degree for a year to apply one final time. If it doesn't work out this third and final time, it just may never work out and I'll be moving on to other schools.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

This sounds very frustrating! I hope you get in this year! Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm super excited to hopefully meet all of you. I'm a first year student at the U of A applying to Pharmacy this year. Wrote out my letter of intent already and I'm just going to improve it over these 3 months :P

Are you doing your pre-reqs in one year? We may be in some of the same classes... :D

Organic chem-Todd Lowary?

Chem 101-Jensen?

Nope, 101 with Apelblat and 164 with Brzezowski.

We'll have 263 together though because only Stryker is teaching. :)

Appleblat is the best! For those of you who are applying with more than one year what is your GPA looking like? I had a 3.61 last year and with my english mark looking better Im look at a 3.66 already hopefully over a 3.71 after math next semester :) Im thinking I should have a 3.8 between both years

Archived