Premed 101 Forums

Official University of Alberta 2014 Pharmacy Applicants - Class of 2018

pharmacy233

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi

I'm applying for pharm this cycle. I thought there was only the letter of intent and gpa. Where did you hear about interviews?

tnx

It's something new that they are implementing this year. Supposedly there is an online interview as part of the application.

I don't see anything about an interview. Are they having one for sure? I know when I emailed Rae Beaumont, she told me that there indeed will be an online interview. But there is nothing on the website.

I will be very upset if they do have an interview because they have given us no time to prep or anything and I refuse to deal with the lack of info like I had to last year. Like the fact they don't like first year applicants would have been good to know....

I absolutely agree with that pharmhope 13. It would be very unprofessional to announce the details of an interview 2 months before the deadline. For all other programs like med,dent,PT,etc., they announce all the requirements a year before the deadline to allow you to prepare.

this forum was so much more active last year, it was kind of nice to be able to see where others were at come on people come talk to me :)

lol I definitely agree!!

I'll share what I am at. So I don't have the craziest stats but here they are

my

pre-reqs are 3.47

Last year i had a 3.5, and last semester was a 3.5 as well. So Im hoping this semester i would push it up to a 3.7 or so.

Also when I went to see Rae she told me that my academics look a lot better and that my chances getting in do look better.

How about you? and others as well?

lol I definitely agree!!

I'll share what I am at. So I don't have the craziest stats but here they are

my

pre-reqs are 3.47

Last year i had a 3.5, and last semester was a 3.5 as well. So Im hoping this semester i would push it up to a 3.7 or so.

Also when I went to see Rae she told me that my academics look a lot better and that my chances getting in do look better.

How about you? and others as well?

I didnt know you could do that but I really hope we get in this year, Im tired of being in sciences....your stats don't look bad at all but I dont think it would hurt you to try and raise the prereq this spring? just a suggestion also if you make your letter of intent unreal I heard that helps A LOT!

I didnt know you could do that but I really hope we get in this year, Im tired of being in sciences....your stats don't look bad at all but I dont think it would hurt you to try and raise the prereq this spring? just a suggestion also if you make your letter of intent unreal I heard that helps A LOT!

Yea there isn't much room for improvement since it is my last year. But I am thinking of doing an English course so that I can try to replace a B. And I am putting in a lot of time for my letter of intent.

But yea I definitely feel ya for being "tired of being in science" lol. Hopefully I'll see you in class next year :)

What are your stats like?

So Im new to this and currently applying to this year's cycle.

How are you guys preparing for the interview? Anyone know any more info about it?

I read that it's basically a recording of yourself answering questions and you have 2 months to submit it after you submit your application.

Also, do you guys know anything about this year's applicant pool?

Cheers

Yea there isn't much room for improvement since it is my last year. But I am thinking of doing an English course so that I can try to replace a B. And I am putting in a lot of time for my letter of intent.

But yea I definitely feel ya for being "tired of being in science" lol. Hopefully I'll see you in class next year :)

What are your stats like?

Ya that would help anything will help :) and I have a 3.74 in prereq and a 3.85 in the cumulative right now Im finding school so much easier without for labs and a seminar and 5 classes a semester ahahah

So Im new to this and currently applying to this year's cycle.

How are you guys preparing for the interview? Anyone know any more info about it?

I read that it's basically a recording of yourself answering questions and you have 2 months to submit it after you submit your application.

Also, do you guys know anything about this year's applicant pool?

Cheers

Im not happy with the interview being released so late I will probably email rea some time soon what its about and if they release a tip sheet to help us prepare for something they gave us no time to prepare for..

Ya that would help anything will help :) and I have a 3.74 in prereq and a 3.85 in the cumulative right now Im finding school so much easier without for labs and a seminar and 5 classes a semester ahahah

That is awesome! Strong GPA. Keep that up and you won't have thing to worry about! Are you in second year?

lol yea I think of labs as a whole course on its on. They do take your time. Unfortunately I don't know the feeling of not have 5 classes a semester lol.

That is awesome! Strong GPA. Keep that up and you won't have thing to worry about! Are you in second year?

lol yea I think of labs as a whole course on its on. They do take your time. Unfortunately I don't know the feeling of not have 5 classes a semester lol.

Yes I am second year, and I am taking 5 courses and 5 courses as well :) I miss all the keeners who were on here last year I felt so much more in the loop and this interview has me nervous I wonder how much it will be worth

I'm going to probably get flamed for this but here goes....

I'm honestly stoked for interviews!!! I know it's just a simple online deal and not a true MMI like I was hoping for, but it's still something. Gives those older students one last kick at the can ;)

(It's pretty darn hard to move your gpa much when you are a 4th/5th year doing grad level courses and an Honours Degree)

I'll bet that it wont be a REALLY significant portion, but it could be kind of like the LOI. Furthermore, perhaps a chance to prove the points you make in your LOI, etc

Guess we'll all see!

Yeah, I get what you're saying, it's scary tho just because it's not something I've heard of any school previously doing. If they said they'd have an MMI, that would have given something to go off of but we're sort of in the dark at the moment.

Good luck at you interview, I see how grads can definitely benefit from this, the more experiences you get in life, the more mature your responses at an interview.

Anyone know if the interview will be worth as much as the LOI or less/more?

Im not happy with the interview being released so late I will probably email rea some time soon what its about and if they release a tip sheet to help us prepare for something they gave us no time to prepare for..

yeah I e-mailed her and she replied that admission is still GPA based primarily but as for the interview, apparently even the admissions people don't know how its going to be use and what's its weight.

I wonder, wouldn't it have been easier to introduce the interview for next year having planned for it in advance?

Yea I am with barndog on this one. I think it's about time they made some sort of interview. So they can see you before making a decision Not because more mature students have an advantage, which is in fact not true. It all depends on your personality. I asked Rae Beaumont about the interview and what she told me is that it is just a chance for them to see if you are professional and if you are able to communicate and speak clearly.

I am just happy because admission is not solely dependent on marks. I mean of course marks are important, but there is a lot more to pharmacy than a 4.0 GPA. I am aware that you are required to take communication classes during pharmacy but you can still pass those and still be uncomfortable interacting with others (just what I heard from previous pharmacy students).

Although I do believe that you need a strong GPA to be cut out for pharmacy, but if you are unable to interact with your patient in a professional manner.. well then that 4.0 GPA is not going to play out that well.

All I am saying is that there needs to be some sort of balance, and I think incorporating some sort of interview is a good start to that. And there is still time guys, no need to freak out. It is January and the interview is supposed to be done by May 20th or something. It's not as intense as an MMI. So don't stress guys :) best of luck to you all :).

Yea I am with barndog on this one. I think it's about time they made some sort of interview. So they can see you before making a decision Not because more mature students have an advantage, which is in fact not true. It all depends on your personality. I asked Rae Beaumont about the interview and what she told me is that it is just a chance for them to see if you are professional and if you are able to communicate and speak clearly.

I am just happy because admission is not solely dependent on marks. I mean of course marks are important, but there is a lot more to pharmacy than a 4.0 GPA. I am aware that you are required to take communication classes during pharmacy but you can still pass those and still be uncomfortable interacting with others (just what I heard from previous pharmacy students).

Although I do believe that you need a strong GPA to be cut out for pharmacy, but if you are unable to interact with your patient in a professional manner.. well then that 4.0 GPA is not going to play out that well.

All I am saying is that there needs to be some sort of balance, and I think incorporating some sort of interview is a good start to that. And there is still time guys, no need to freak out. It is January and the interview is supposed to be done by May 20th or something. It's not as intense as an MMI. So don't stress guys :) best of luck to you all :).

Well said, and very true. the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with customers as a pharmacist is absolutely crucial. I mean most people go and ask pharmacists for advice just because of the ease of access, and if they find that pharmacists seem to keep to themselves that may turn around a lot of people requiring all kinds of health advice that wouldn't go to their doctor in the first place.

Good luck all!

Any of you guys preparing for the interviews in any special way that you'd care to share?

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed the pharmacy people (U of Alberta) and this is what Rae said:

"Let me explain our evaluation procedures a little. When we processed applications this year, we looked at 4 numbers:

1) the GPA on the 10 prerequisites (taken any term)

2) the Overall GPA on your last 2 years of full time study (defined as 4 or 5 courses in Fall and 4or 5 courses in Winter)

3) the highest number of credits taken in a Fall/Winter academic year (preferably 30)

4) the GPA from that year

Spring term courses are not included in the overall GPA calculation.

Admission is highly competitive. Last year, we had 600 applicants and we only admit 130 students. If you seriously want pharmacy, please make sure you speak with a pharmacist and ask them to sign the pharmacist consultation form to support your application."

In addition to the letter of intent, there will also be an interview for this year's applicants.

Archived