Premed 101 Forums

Official University of Alberta 2014 Pharmacy Applicants - Class of 2018

pharmacy233

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how does it work if one has not too strong pre-reqs (first year! :o) but extremely high cGPA? I had a 3.3 in first year but 4.0 the next 3 years. Full course load every year, and plenty of advanced chem/bio courses taken

Your pre-req GPA can be upgraded by higher level courses.

Ex. if I got a 2.3 in BIOL 107, and got a 4.0 in BIOL 207, they would... either take the BIOL 207 mark completely, or average it out. i THINK it's the former.

So....... who's done their application? I dropped off mine today! :)

And if you guys want to compare stats to get an idea of your chances...

I'm a first year student, in province.

pGPA: Probably around 3.68~3.75, depending on how OChem goes....

cGPA: Probably around 3.65~3.70? Made the mistake of picking physics as an elective lol :rolleyes:

If the pharmacy consultation form is not required, how does it factor into the admission process?

I dont know if you have played competitive sports but when a coach says you have an "optional" practise everyone knows its not. Its to see who is willing to put in the effort, aka who cares enough.

Its different than the reference letter which they pretty much state is a waste of time and paper so I would definitely work to get one. This is the second year they have done it so they obviously liked it last year and will probably weight it heavier after their trial process. I personally have three from last year!

AND my application is done as well my overall gpa so far is a 3.81 and I expect it to stay there, my prereq is like a 3.71!

Deb Im assuming you did IB then?

If the pharmacy consultation form is not required, how does it factor into the admission process?

Just my hunch here...

As long as LOI shows that you have given some serious thought about going into pharmacy, you will not be penalized for not having one. If your LOI looks like you are just applying for no apparent reason, having the consultation form may save you.

I honestly don't see how some cheap form that says you shadowed a pharmacist for a couple hours can be a big factor in admission.

Just my hunch here...

As long as LOI shows that you have given some serious thought about going into pharmacy, you will not be penalized for not having one. If your LOI looks like you are just applying for no apparent reason, having the consultation form may save you.

I honestly don't see how some cheap form that says you shadowed a pharmacist for a couple hours can be a big factor in admission.

I handed one in just in case but I totally agree with you, there is no way this could be used as a deciding factor.

It just seems so odd not to make this a mandatory admission requirement though.

Just my hunch here...

The consultation form is not a deciding factor. It is serves as proof that the applicant actually had some sort of exposure to the pharmacy profession.

From what I hear, applicants in the past would mention that they had some kind of pharmacy exposure/experience when they in fact didn't. So if it is mentioned in the Letter of Intent that the applicant had work experience in a pharmacy, this is would be proof for that. Just shows that you took that extra step to find out what pharmacy is like.

"Admission is highly competitive. Last year, we had 600 applicants and we only admit 130 students. If you seriously want pharmacy, please make sure you speak with a pharmacist and ask them to sign the pharmacist consultation form to support your application." -- Sounds pretty deciding to me....

"Admission is highly competitive. Last year, we had 600 applicants and we only admit 130 students. If you seriously want pharmacy, please make sure you speak with a pharmacist and ask them to sign the pharmacist consultation form to support your application." -- Sounds pretty deciding to me....

lol....

Do you know how many applicants there are this year? I have a feeling its a little less than last year judging from how active the forum is this year...

I agree!

If you couldn't be bothered to take the time to get it filled out, you might as well just cross your name off the list. It's the same kind of idea as citing your sources when writing a paper. In this case, the consultation form is a source for your LOI. And yes, if they wanted to bad enough, the admissions committee could easily track down the pharmacist and speak with them. So, the consultation form could also be used in the same way a letter of recommendation would be (that's why now they do not encourage any reference letters).

lol....

Do you know how many applicants there are this year? I have a feeling its a little less than last year judging from how active the forum is this year...

I feel like it'll probably be similar... All of the applicants I know this year (about 30~40) are not on this forum.

Hey, everyone I'm applying this year, and I have been lurking on the premed 101 threads for a year.

I looked at some of the documents from the university of Alberta's registrar office data that you guys might find interesting.

While it is true that 600 applicant's apply every year, the actual pool of people you are competing against is a lot smaller. For example, in 2011 the number of applicants that applied, who were already U of A students, was 243. Of those 243, exactly 104 were excepted. If we consider that 11 people were not qualified and 9 people improperly filled out the application, the acceptance rate for U of A students was 104/223, which is 47%!!!!

Out of the 272 applicants that applied out of province, only 4 were excepted. This means they only had a 1.4% acceptance rate.

Out of 102 students that applied from Alberta from different Universities or colleges, only 28 students were accepted. This equates to a 27% acceptance rate.

If you look at other years, the pattern is extremely similar. In summary, if you are applying from the University of Alberta, you have a 40-50% chance of being accepted!!!

Here's the source from the registrars office if you want to look:

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/en/About/Facts-and-Stats/~/media/registrar/sosfiles/2010-2011/Summary_of_Statistics_2010_11_Book.pdf

Here's the source if you want to look at other years:

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/en/About/Facts-and-Stats/Summary-Statistics-Archive.aspx

Hey, everyone I'm applying this year, and I have been lurking on the premed 101 threads for a year.

I looked at some of the documents from the university of Alberta's registrar office data that you guys might find interesting.

While it is true that 600 applicant's apply every year, the actual pool of people you are competing against is a lot smaller. For example, in 2011 the number of applicants that applied, who were already U of A students, was 243. Of those 243, exactly 104 were excepted. If we consider that 11 people were not qualified and 9 people improperly filled out the application, the acceptance rate for U of A students was 104/223, which is 47%!!!!

Out of the 272 applicants that applied out of province, only 4 were excepted. This means they only had a 1.4% acceptance rate.

Out of 102 students that applied from Alberta from different Universities or colleges, only 28 students were accepted. This equates to a 27% acceptance rate.

If you look at other years, the pattern is extremely similar. In summary, if you are applying from the University of Alberta, you have a 40-50% chance of being accepted!!!

Here's the source from the registrars office if you want to look:

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/en/About/Facts-and-Stats/~/media/registrar/sosfiles/2010-2011/Summary_of_Statistics_2010_11_Book.pdf

Here's the source if you want to look at other years:

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/en/About/Facts-and-Stats/Summary-Statistics-Archive.aspx

Im not very good at statistics but the the way you presented these seems a bit biased to me where the U of A pharmacy admissions office specifically states that they only distinguish between Alberta and out of province residents. Obviously twice as many people from U of A applied but there were more from other Alberta schools that did not qualify and were not considered competitive. It could have been because U of C and/or Lethbridge, other school students had lower GPA that year or something like that. Plus, don't forget that U of A is the size of U of C and U of L combined and therefore has a bigger pool of applicants altogether.

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has received their interview link yet or if anyone knows when those will be made available?

Nope, nothing yet. From what I've heard it's not going to be released til end of March, so I think we have a while yet.

Archived