Premed 101 Forums

Contact Lenses

Anfield

Not exactly a typical premed question, but I could use some help, especially from current med students.

It's my second day (ever) wearing contacts. Putting them in/taking them out is getting easier. But,1) I keep feeling the contacts in my eyes. I get so annoyed that I end up taking out the lens and putting it back in again. But I sometimes still feel they're there. Sometimes I don't feel them as much.

2) This is the worst part. I feel like my eyes get dry quickly after I put the lenses in, and as a result I want to blink more and more.

3) I feel like my vision isn't 'focused'. Feels awkward when I'm trying to read, use a computer, watch TV, along with a few other things. This brings a strong headache and dizziness.

I am not sure if these problems will be gone after a week of usage (my trial lenses are for a week). I gave up on glasses. No matter what my budget is for the frame alone, and no matter what brand (Oakley, Porsche,etc), they all seem uncomfortable! Even plastic frames which are more comfortable don't feel well.

I would really like some input on these issues with the contacts and as to frames you would recommend. It's all about comfort, I couldn't care about fashion/style/etc at all.

well that was helpful

hahaha. in fairness, your optometrist and optician are far more qualified to deal with these issues than the pm101 community. not only is that their area of expertise (which, i understand, they may also have in common with some of the opto's that come on here), but they also can sit down with you and have a chat to hear out your complaints in full. they'll also know your history, etc. just give them a call either today (although i suspect they may be closed by now) or first thing tomorrow. they might be able to fit you in the same day! so i'd have to respectfully second f_d's suggestion

If you can tolerate it, I'd wait until the end of one week. With only 2 days chances are you just haven't gotten used to having them in your eyes (which seem to be reacting to them like a foreign body by becoming irritated and dry). Make sure you're caring for your lenses properly. If your discomfort persists then definitely go see an optometrist.

If you have astigmatism, glasses will be better for your vision. First, contact lenses only have astigmatism axes in increments of 10 (whereas glasses can have them at any whole number). Second, it will unfocus (refocus?) every time you blink or something.

I'd suggest glasses...

I don't know why but all places near me including pearlvision and lenscrafters have some very lazy employees. They never bother to help if I ask them if the frames fit me (especially plastic frames because they either fit or don't). I mean when they answer they just give the 'they're good' answer.

I'm interested in plastic frames more as they are more comfortable, but I've been told they either fit when you try them or don't. I have no way of knowing if they fit because they feel ok.

I don't have astigmatism.

I'm typing this and my eyes are amazingly dry.

I'm not an optometrist or eye guy at all but

1) Make sure there's no dust or stuff on the contacts before you put them in.

2) You might need to get more expensive contacts that let your eyes breathe more. Of course this might just be marketing working on me, maybe they don't do anything more.

3) It sounds like you need your prescription adjusted.

In any case, you should order online and just try out a bunch of prescriptions randomly and see if they work. Remember that your eyes can have different prescriptions so you'll have to try a bunch of different combinations (don't bother checking your eyes individually, they're supposed to work together.

I also recommend trying out various frames that you can also order. If you're feeling ambitious you can design your own frames by combining parts from the different glasses. Shouldn't be too hard to make your own awesome combination of glasses for a couple thousand bucks.

Or use common sense and go see your optometrist.

I'm not an optometrist or eye guy at all but

1) Make sure there's no dust or stuff on the contacts before you put them in.

2) You might need to get more expensive contacts that let your eyes breathe more. Of course this might just be marketing working on me, maybe they don't do anything more.

3) It sounds like you need your prescription adjusted.

In any case, you should order online and just try out a bunch of prescriptions randomly and see if they work. Remember that your eyes can have different prescriptions so you'll have to try a bunch of different combinations (don't bother checking your eyes individually, they're supposed to work together.

I also recommend trying out various frames that you can also order. If you're feeling ambitious you can design your own frames by combining parts from the different glasses. Shouldn't be too hard to make your own awesome combination of glasses for a couple thousand bucks.

Or use common sense and go see your optometrist.

Uhhh dude, are you serious? lol...

Are you sure they are clean? Make sure you clean your contacts after you take them out and before you put them in.

Also, it might just be that you're not used to them yet. I know that when I started wearing them, everything was really bright but it eventually got better after a week.

I remember when I first tried contacts, I was using Acuvue, and I could feel them in my eyes. I switched to Freshlook (I use the non-color tinted ones, bought them off clearlycontacts.ca) and they feel amazing. I can't feel them in my eyes. I'd suggest a different brand, maybe Acuvue just isn't for you (and maybe Freshlook isn't either), but do give your optometrist a call, he/she's the best person to contact :)

Not exactly a typical premed question, but I could use some help, especially from current med students.

It's my second day (ever) wearing contacts. Putting them in/taking them out is getting easier. But,1) I keep feeling the contacts in my eyes. I get so annoyed that I end up taking out the lens and putting it back in again. But I sometimes still feel they're there. Sometimes I don't feel them as much.

2) This is the worst part. I feel like my eyes get dry quickly after I put the lenses in, and as a result I want to blink more and more.

3) I feel like my vision isn't 'focused'. Feels awkward when I'm trying to read, use a computer, watch TV, along with a few other things. This brings a strong headache and dizziness.

I am not sure if these problems will be gone after a week of usage (my trial lenses are for a week). I gave up on glasses. No matter what my budget is for the frame alone, and no matter what brand (Oakley, Porsche,etc), they all seem uncomfortable! Even plastic frames which are more comfortable don't feel well.

I would really like some input on these issues with the contacts and as to frames you would recommend. It's all about comfort, I couldn't care about fashion/style/etc at all.

You might want to try the ones that allow more oxygen in. They will probably be better. Also, make sure they are in right. If there is a bend in it or something it can leave an air bubble which will be painful.

Archived