Premed 101 Forums

Electives for neurosurgery

Hello all,

I'm an MS3 just in the middle of applying for electives, and being very interested in neurosurgical oncology, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for electives for neurosurgery? Should I just apply for straight neurosurg electives, or should I do neuro critical care, neuroradiology, etc?

(Bonus points if I can argue the electives for the general surgery/surg onc since that's my 2nd choice)

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

I'm an MS3 just in the middle of applying for electives, and being very interested in neurosurgical oncology, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for electives for neurosurgery? Should I just apply for straight neurosurg electives, or should I do neuro critical care, neuroradiology, etc?

(Bonus points if I can argue the electives for the general surgery/surg onc since that's my 2nd choice)

Thanks in advance!

Just Neuro Surg electives. You need face time with programs. Maybe 1 electives that is not neurosurg could be acceptable. But don't limit your chances by spending time not on electives at neurosurg programs.

Agreed. I don't think it's really tenable to apply to gen surg as a backup either; it's become really competitive in the last few years. I'd also suggest thinking about how happy you'd be with bread-and-butter head trauma and spine stuff in neurosurg. There aren't too many centres where you could focus exclusively on oncology, which would be more possible in gen surg, though still difficult.

To answer your question about a relevant elective, you could consider radiation oncology. You would learn quite a bit about the options when patients aren't surgical candidates. You could also easily argue that specialty for general surgery, as in other cancer sites radiation oncologists work closely with surgeons. However, you run the risk of becoming jealous of the lifestyle of the field.

A practical piece of advice, I would strongly suggest you contact the programs to see what their volume is typically like for neuro cases. For example, I wouldn't recommend an elective at Dal for radiation oncology as there are simply aren't enough neuro patients for you to see, if that is your goal (it is a fantastic program otherwise).

I don't have a lot of suggestions on where to start looking, other than U of T (I know they are doing some really cool spine SBRT as an alternative to surgery, and I would imagine they would probably get the highest patient volume of other neuro cases).

Thanks for all your answers!

A-Stark, I've been thinking myself about the idea of gen surg as a "back up," and I agree--it's become such a competitive specialty that I feel that unless I articulate myself really well at interviews on why I have so many neurosurgery electives, they are bound to pass me over for students who are showing gen surg as their primary choice. I kept hoping that if I did 5 electives in NSx and 4 in Gen Surg, I could be a viable candidate for both, but I worry that way I won't come off as a serious candidate for either.

Regardless, I know that even the bread-and-butter of neurosurgery fascinates me, but I really don't see myself enjoying the bread-and-butter cases for gen surg if I don't eventually get to do surg onc...

I think you can be a good candidate for both and still do okay in the match. So if you do feel a bit torn, it's not necessarily a problem so long as you apply as widely as possible. I know a guy who was in something of a similar position, eventually opted for gen surg, and matched to it, despite having some neurosurg electives. All in all, if all of your electives are in surgery, they'll certainly think you're serious about being a surgeon, and I think that's really the only stumbling block people applying for surgery might right into (e.g. having medicine electives in "excessive" number).

I know a guy who was in something of a similar position, eventually opted for gen surg, and matched to it, despite having some neurosurg electives.

Thanks again, A-Stark. Also, if this guy just graduated from the 2013 class, then I think I know him!

wow you are a MS3 and already applying for electives? aren't we allowed to book electives only 9 months in advance?

Well, at my school, electives are spread out throughout the clerkship years, so I have my first elective block in Feb. I actually have the majority of mine in 3rd year...

Archived