Premed 101 Forums

Applying to SABA

Hi guys, I plan to apply in SABA in January for September admission. My GPA after 3 years is 3.53 and I write the MCAT in a couple of days. I've got lots of EC's under my belt so I will be gambling and applying to Canada. Should I do a 5th year to boost my GPA? or should I apply to SABA, as I do not really care if I place a residency in the states or Canada. :confused: :confused:

Thanks!

It's pretty risky to go to a school like SABA, even if you'd be happy doing residency in the USA.

What is your yearly GPA breakdown? Some schools take your last couple years or allow you to drop a year, which could make a fifth year even more beneficial. If all your years are consistently around 3.5, consider applying for a DO in America. You'd still be able to apply for Canadian or American residency spots, but you won't be an IMG so your chances would be much higher.

ahahhahhah, i love how people would spend 500K and piss there future away with 0 research!!

i would like to open up my own medical school one day

in usa DO= MD

IMGs are gettin booted out like no tomorrow, i think the IMG window has passed, anyone going into IMG NOW will have an impossible time finding a job (considering we add 4+ years to this date)

already seen doubling of the DO campuses and MDs

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2013R1_MatchResults/Table_1_En.pdf

Compare the odds between CMG and IMG. It's not that it's impossible but that it's unlikely. Following that, there's no way I would personally go more than 200k in debt with less than a 50% chance of actually getting a job. Check SDN for an American perspective but I really don't see why you'd take SABA over a DO school.

https://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2013R1_MatchResults/Table_1_En.pdf

Compare the odds between CMG and IMG. It's not that it's impossible but that it's unlikely. Following that, there's no way I would personally go more than 200k in debt with less than a 50% chance of actually getting a job. Check SDN for an American perspective but I really don't see why you'd take SABA over a DO school.

This is considering all of IMG though. A couple of my cousins friends just scored well over the mean us average for the usmle step 1 while finishing from MUA. So these schools do get you prepared for that.

yes 1 person

they also force them to write the Caribbean version, if u fail ur out, and further taking more time away

dont forget to add +4 yrs to any of these informations, considering u get in now

IMG is last resort

and no its NOT only USMLE

the island kids MUST DESTROY the usmle to get primary care/any spot...your IMG AND Canadian

you run into visa problems which DOs can bypass bc of school sponsorship

Doesnt matter what your USMLE score is, when theres an american grad with a 200 on step 1 they'll take that person over you with a 260 any day. You're also kidding yourself if you think a caribbean school like MUA will let you score better than if you went to a US school. The US school average is ~220 for step 1, probably higher now. You could do better but you could also do worse.

Saba makes you write the comprehensive NBME exam and they post statistics for that online. The semester I wrote it the average score was equivalent to about 220. So right on the nose compared to the average US score. Of course, that doesn't account for about half of all students who were on academic probation and then were expelled before they ever made it to 5th semester.

• 1 month later...
It's pretty risky to go to a school like SABA, even if you'd be happy doing residency in the USA.

What is your yearly GPA breakdown? Some schools take your last couple years or allow you to drop a year, which could make a fifth year even more beneficial. If all your years are consistently around 3.5, consider applying for a DO in America. You'd still be able to apply for Canadian or American residency spots, but you won't be an IMG so your chances would be much higher.

Osteopathy is not considered CMG fyi...

https://www.carms.ca/en/r-1-main-residency#r1-eligibility-criteria

A school of Osteopathic medicine is listed as fulfilling the requirements to apply in the first round

This is correct, although you do need to read up on provincial differences. B.C. appears to have no restrictions at all in first round, while other provinces may require a screening, followed by a few who don't accept them all at (mostly maritimes). That still leaves open many first round residency spots across the country.

I would always go DO over IMG. Even if you don't agree with the osteopathic manipulation part of the curriculum. In the end you don't have to practice it.

Archived