Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys!

I hope everyone's applications went well. Feels very good to be finished writing the application. I was just curious, but after you completed you application how do you access SAM, or see if your documents were received? All that shows up on my account is a "complete" and my reference number. Thanks guys and good luck to the upcoming admission year!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys!

I hope everyone's applications went well. Feels very good to be finished writing the application. I was just curious, but after you completed you application how do you access SAM, or see if your documents were received? All that shows up on my account is a "complete" and my reference number. Thanks guys and good luck to the upcoming admission year!

when you log into your application on orpas it says you can view received materials, references etc. it shows that your assessment forms are received etc

• 2 weeks later...
Also I'm applying to Queen's and Mcmaster and I believe my GPA is at 3.8. Hopefully its good enough :/

With a 3.8 you should get an interview with Mac.... with Queens, your GPA is high but the personal submissions can make it go either way. I worked with a girl that had a 3.8 and she didn't get into Queens but got in everywhere else lol.

I applied to Queens, Mac, UoT and Western with a ~3.87 but we will see how ORPAS calculates my GPA lol.

Good luck everyone!

With a 3.8 you should get an interview with Mac.... with Queens, your GPA is high but the personal submissions can make it go either way. I worked with a girl that had a 3.8 and she didn't get into Queens but got in everywhere else lol.

I applied to Queens, Mac, UoT and Western with a ~3.87 but we will see how ORPAS calculates my GPA lol.

Good luck everyone!

What do you mean by how ORPAS calculates it? I applied to all 4 and I'm being calculated on the old Windsor system of alpha grades which sucks. ORPAS will give me a 3.80 with alpha but if it was percentages like most schools , I would have a 3.90. Windsor students graduating prior to the fall of 13 get the shaft when competing with other schools for PT spots. An A+ at windsor for example is 95.9 or better for me but at most schools that use percentages its either 90-100 or 93-100. Under percentages I would have had 2 more A+. Oh well, hopefully 3.80 is good enough. My submission questions are solid with 11 years pt clinic experience so hopefully Queens will take me at least, western I doubt it, Mac and UofT who knows.

Mazzy a 3.87 is a solid GPA! And thanks for the reply back. I do hope my Queen's submissions are ok, however it is my first time applying. I did spend quite a bit of time on them but I found the most difficult part of writing them was the word limit we had. I guess its just the waiting game now :). And TRMT, I know what you mean. I'm in the same boat. All my A's (>90%) become 3.9, where it should be a 4.0. And need to have A+ (>95%) to get 4.0. So my GPA at my school is a 3.85 but when ORPAS converts it, it should be around 3.8.

What do you mean by how ORPAS calculates it? I applied to all 4 and I'm being calculated on the old Windsor system of alpha grades which sucks. ORPAS will give me a 3.80 with alpha but if it was percentages like most schools , I would have a 3.90. Windsor students graduating prior to the fall of 13 get the shaft when competing with other schools for PT spots. An A+ at windsor for example is 95.9 or better for me but at most schools that use percentages its either 90-100 or 93-100. Under percentages I would have had 2 more A+. Oh well, hopefully 3.80 is good enough. My submission questions are solid with 11 years pt clinic experience so hopefully Queens will take me at least, western I doubt it, Mac and UofT who knows.

Well in my case, I never took a summer break so I have several consecutive academic terms, so I'm not too sure how ORPAS and the individual schools will calculate my 20th course.

Take this with a grain of salt because I haven't actually called anyone about it and haven't read the booklet since before the deadline.... but after reading the booklet, ORPAS calculates it one way but in cases where they have to dip into another semester to get the 20 most recent courses, schools have different policies on how they calculate GPA regardless of how ORPAS does it. For example, I believe UoT and Western take the average of the entire year whereas Mac just takes the average of the semester that they're dipping into. I'm not too sure what Queens does.

Either way I'm not too worried about it because I calculated it both ways and it hardly makes a difference. Using the average of the term for me was 3.08 (it was a rough one lol) and the average of the year was 3.02.

ANYWAYS lol your GPA is awesome and definitely competitive enough to get an invite to the MMI at Mac and the CAP at UoT, and I'm sure with all that experience you'll get accepted to Queens. Not too sure about Western because their cut-off is ridiculous lol but your chances with the others seem to be really good! Good luck! :):):)

Mazzy a 3.87 is a solid GPA! And thanks for the reply back. I do hope my Queen's submissions are ok, however it is my first time applying. I did spend quite a bit of time on them but I found the most difficult part of writing them was the word limit we had. I guess its just the waiting game now :). And TRMT, I know what you mean. I'm in the same boat. All my A's (>90%) become 3.9, where it should be a 4.0. And need to have A+ (>95%) to get 4.0. So my GPA at my school is a 3.85 but when ORPAS converts it, it should be around 3.8.

It really sucks how they convert grades but I guess it's something we have to live with. The word limit was definitely intense! It's hard to get everything in there for sure! I was rejected last year because I really just focused on my technical experience (i.e. working with patients, applying modalities etc.) instead of telling them what I learned and what skills I developed by doing these things... I talked to an adviser at my school (UWaterloo) and she basically said that I had to make a point of highlighting the "essential attributes of a physiotherapist" because that's what they look for. I'm not sure how reliable that advice is but I'm crossing my fingers lol. The waiting game is so painful, I can't wait until February for the letter from ORPAS! It's coming up soon :):)!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello! I haven't actually applied to PT this year, but I was wondering if I had a competitive enough GPA to apply in the future. I currently have a cGPA of 3.6 and an sGPA of 3.72. I know it's really competitive, so I don't want to apply if I don't even have a shot. Thanks for any feedback!

you could have a shot at queens if you have a stellar resume everywhere else your out of luck.

Hey, to anyone that applied to Western...I was concerned about making sure the english requirement is fulfilled for me when I apply next year. I'm unfamiliar with ORPAS, I'm guessing you probably upload course outlines or something...but if it doesn't explicitly say 1500 words of essay writing on your course outline how can you communicate with Western to make sure it's approved?

Archived