Premed 101 Forums

Research after you graduate?

farmin

I am to graduate this year and I don't want to do a masters. I want to work in a lab (I mostly just want a publication). How do I set this up? As a summer student, I just emailed people and get grants. But after I graduate, I don't get grants anymore... so what do I do? Are there still grants for people doing research in general? Do I just email profs if they need people to help out? But I don't just want to help out I actually want a publication. Kinda stuck here.

You need to get some realistic expectations here. You cannot skip out on a masters, get a random grant and just "get a publication," especially with just a bachelors degree. Basically your only non-masters option would be to apply for a RA position. They are job postings and you do not email random profs about this. You will be competing against those with Masters degrees. You will also be unlikely to publish in this type of position (guaranteed not first author at least). If you really want money and a good shot at publishing, masters is your only option. But I must ask, why do you even want a publication? Doesn't do much for MD applications and it seems like you're not that into research.

I have to agree with Osteon. Folks don't really 'do research in general', usually research is done as a prof, grad student, post-doc, research associate etc. But these positions typically require more than a bachelor's degree. With a BSc your main option is to work as a lab tech. While you may get an acknowledgement on a publication, the odds of you getting a first author publication are very low. Working as a tech usually means that while you may prepare and run analyses, in most cases you have not made an intellectual contribution to designing and interpreting the experiment. All of which are normally required to warrant inclusion as an author on a publication.

Now, that being said, working as a technician still provides some valuable lab experience, experience working with others, communication skills etc. So if research is really not of interest to you, don't focus on publications. Look for a posted job in a lab doing work that you think you may enjoy and focus on what you can learn from that experience.

Yes I do want to add to my CV. You eventually need pubs for residency so I don't see why I shouldn't get started since I'll need to do this anyways IF I get in . I don't have any particular interests, I have some fields I think I would like but as long as I don't hate it, I'm fine with it.

Application for Calgary has an entire section for publications, I would think it's pretty important in giving ppl a leg up.

I know someone who got a 1st author publication after one summer of being a summer student, how come it's harder after you graduate? Wouldn't they like graduates more than summer students?

So... lab tech is only option? Dang. Maybe work at fort mac? Can generic biology degree get me a decent job there?

Archived