Premed 101 Forums

US vs Canadian Electives

Hi.

I'm an IMG and I'm applying for IM residency (with prospect to subspecialize in Cards) both in Canada and the US next year. I have to plan my summer electives so that I can be competitive for both.

Would 1 month in the US be enough to get LORs and be competitive for the US match? This leaves me with 6-7 weeks of Canadian electives.

Thanks.

Hi.

I'm an IMG and I'm applying for IM residency (with prospect to subspecialize in Cards) both in Canada and the US next year. I have to plan my summer electives so that I can be competitive for both.

Would 1 month in the US be enough to get LORs and be competitive for the US match? This leaves me with 6-7 weeks of Canadian electives.

Thanks.

Try asking on SDN. They know the US system much better than most of us here.

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to at least 3 American LORs many programs require at least one year of hands on clinical experience in the US for IMGs (observerships and research DO NOT COUNT towards the one year).

To get a better idea of requirements look at Internal Medicine Residency program descriptions (see school's website) or call programs that you may be interested in attending in the future.

Good luck

Archived