Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS Clinical Electives Section

Rosie

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been asked before. I am currently trying to determine if the clinical elective section of both the CaRMS application and the CV should include third year rotations at all.

There doesn't seem to be much consensus in my class about the topic. Some people are including third year rotations and some are only putting electives from fourth year (we do all of our core rotations in third year and all electives in fourth year so our line of distinction between clerkship and electives is very clear).

Any advice or insight?

:)

Yea the debate focused on selectives.

For example if you are applying to Family Medicine is it important to specify where you did your 4 weeks of rural family medicine in clerkship? Or if you're applying to ER is it important to specify you did two extra weeks of selective time in ER.

I feel like it's irrelevant and adds nothing to your application...but I'm double checking.

Yea the debate focused on selectives.

For example if you are applying to Family Medicine is it important to specify where you did your 4 weeks of rural family medicine in clerkship? Or if you're applying to ER is it important to specify you did two extra weeks of selective time in ER.

I feel like it's irrelevant and adds nothing to your application...but I'm double checking.

If it's in line with the theme of your application, I don't think it would hurt - say you are applying to rural family medicine, perhaps one of your interviewers has a connection to that location and this would make a great icebreaker during your interview. Or if you're a latecomer to ER, you're going to want to include all the relevant experience you can, so it wouldn't be irrelevant in that case.

Answer is it depends on your circumstances - if there isn't a particular reason for including the selective and it would just distract the reader from the rest of your electives, then don't include it (I didn't put any selectives on my application).

If it's in line with the theme of your application, I don't think it would hurt - say you are applying to rural family medicine, perhaps one of your interviewers has a connection to that location and this would make a great icebreaker during your interview. Or if you're a latecomer to ER, you're going to want to include all the relevant experience you can, so it wouldn't be irrelevant in that case.

Answer is it depends on your circumstances - if there isn't a particular reason for including the selective and it would just distract the reader from the rest of your electives, then don't include it (I didn't put any selectives on my application).

I second most of what is said here.

The more competitive and specialized the field the more you want to highlight your relevant experiences. Looking at your ER example, I would find a place to list all your ER experiences. Include selectives, but in the description part list the experience as a selective. On the personal CV I would list everything including any core ER rotations. Don't hide away anything that can demonstrates exposure to your speciality of choice.

The flip side of this is listing irrelevant rubbish or things which give the wrong impression. Doing this could certainly skin an app.

Archived