Premed 101 Forums

Applied 2013/2014

Also to Ottawa, but NOSM is definitely my #1. I'd prefer West Campus, but they're both over a 6 hour drive away from where I'm living and grew up. Also applying to PA, PT, and nursing programs this year to do something in the field while I continue to apply.

in all honesty PA is probably better than a physician. Make great money without the responsibility/liability involved.

in all honesty PA is probably better than a physician. Make great money without the responsibility/liability involved.

I'd way rather be a physician. I want to learn all I can about the human body and have a larger scope of practice with which to help my community and those like mine.

Also, from what I've seen PA is arguably more competitive than med. It's just something else I would do while still pursuing med. We'll see how this application cycle goes, I guess.

I'd way rather be a physician. I want to learn all I can about the human body and have a larger scope of practice with which to help my community and those like mine.

Also, from what I've seen PA is arguably more competitive than med. It's just something else I would do while still pursuing med. We'll see how this application cycle goes, I guess.

Apparently a PA (I know of at least one) who got in to NOSM this past cycle.

Awesome! I'm leaning more towards the U of M program because it's a graduate program, but I'm also applying to Mac.

Just figure I'd add that in as I know a few people who thought you couldn't make that "jump" after doing the PA program. It's good that you have a back up plan(s), I currently am going full boar and head on into Medicine without a safety net.

I've also applied to NOSM. West campus would be my preference. I think my ABS was strong, but I felt my short answers weren't where I wanted them to be. I found it somewhat difficult to write about my life experiences and thoughts in such limited space. Do any of you have pointers on how to condense any short answers? (removing the punctuation has been considered)

Overall, the entire application process is quite the learning experience, and I hope next year's application will be stronger...

Best of luck to all of you premed101's

So you applied pretty broadly as well, where does NOSM stack up in your choices?

#1, though I'd be privileged to end up at any of the schools I applied, if not NOSM I'd love to end up at Man, Toronto or McGill. What is your campus choice for NOSM? And where other then NOSM would you like to end up "if" you had a choice?

#1, though I'd be privileged to end up at any of the schools I applied, if not NOSM I'd love to end up at Man, Toronto or McGill. What is your campus choice for NOSM? And where other then NOSM would you like to end up "if" you had a choice?

I applied to NOSM, McGill (as that's where I am now), Ottawa, Queen's,UofT, Mac, Western, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Calgary. ( Basically every school that doesn't require English haha)

As for campus I'd much prefer East campus. I'm from north Eastern Ontario so Sudbury is only a 4-5 hour drive South East for me whereas Thunder Bay is 10+ hours. Played lots of hockey in Sudbury as well so I have a feel for the city, not too mention i have lots of High School friends who currently attend Laurentian.

As for a first choice of schools, I'm currently torn. I'd love to come back to Northern Ontario (well if you consider Sudbury Northern Ontario) but at the same time there seems to be extra opportunities at some larger schools. At any rate I'd be heading back to Northern Ontario to practice. In the end I'd be happy anywhere (even the Hollywood Upstairs Medical College lol hopefully that's not lost on you)

What's the breakdown of your MCAT?

It's funny the essays and ABS make up 1/3 of the score. How exactly do they (any med school) mark the ABS."? Just seems so hard, what activities are more valuable than others?

Other than considering the amount of time one spends doing an activity and where it took place, how are the activities in the ABS objectively measured? I agree with you, Hockeynut-it is tough to say how valuable some activities are. I watched an admissions webcast and according to NOSM those who are involved in the community and organize events would score ~7/10. NOSM would not share the activities that would bump up the mark to a 9 or 10, however. I guess we will all have to wait and see the stats for this year's cycle.

Best of luck to you, Hockeynut.

Other than considering the amount of time one spends doing an activity and where it took place, how are the activities in the ABS objectively measured? I agree with you, Hockeynut-it is tough to say how valuable some activities are. I watched an admissions webcast and according to NOSM those who are involved in the community and organize events would score ~7/10. NOSM would not share the activities that would bump up the mark to a 9 or 10, however. I guess we will all have to wait and see the stats for this year's cycle.

Best of luck to you, Hockeynut.

Cure solve the native housing shortage on the coast?

From that very same webcast they made it sound like the ABS wouldn't be the deciding factor. Also remember that the essays are included in that portion of the score. I could see the essays making up more than half that score as it seems they are a better way to frame yourself/activities rather than the glorified list that is the ABS.

I applied to NOSM, McGill (as that's where I am now), Ottawa, Queen's,UofT, Mac, Western, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Calgary. ( Basically every school that doesn't require English haha)

As for campus I'd much prefer East campus. I'm from north Eastern Ontario so Sudbury is only a 4-5 hour drive South East for me whereas Thunder Bay is 10+ hours. Played lots of hockey in Sudbury as well so I have a feel for the city, not too mention i have lots of High School friends who currently attend Laurentian.

As for a first choice of schools, I'm currently torn. I'd love to come back to Northern Ontario (well if you consider Sudbury Northern Ontario) but at the same time there seems to be extra opportunities at some larger schools. At any rate I'd be heading back to Northern Ontario to practice. In the end I'd be happy anywhere (even the Hollywood Upstairs Medical College lol hopefully that's not lost on you)

What's the breakdown of your MCAT?

Its respectable, but not great 13PS, 10VR, 14BS. The 10 in VR will almost certainly end me for Western and possibly Queen's, but I applied anyway because you never know. Might be enough for Sask and Man. How bout yours?

Haha, and not lost at all.

Its respectable, but not great 13PS, 10VR, 14BS. The 10 in VR will almost certainly end me for Western and possibly Queen's, but I applied anyway because you never know. Might be enough for Sask and Man. How bout yours?

Haha, and not lost at all.

If I had to guess I'd say your ok for Queen's but that's obviously just a guess. Also in pretty good shape for a Mac interview.

I scored a 42 on the MCAT 14PS 13VR 15BS. I'm very very happy with my score, especially considering I was practicing at 8-9 on VR the day before the exam.

Archived