Premed 101 Forums

how long does the "special feeling" last? :D

Hi guys, I am kinda curious 'bout how long the awesomeness feeling of being a med student last before reality kick in, finding out that we are all human, and real life is not as glorified as on TV shows? A few of my friends in M3 start complaining about their choice of getting into med, which I completely can't understand, especially b/c those are the one always hype up during 1st and 2nd year

Resident, still feeling pretty special at times :cool:

I've never regretted my choice of going into medicine, even though if you asked me at 3 AM whether I love my job 100%, I probably would grunt and roll my eyes. But the reality is that the positive aspects outweigh the negatives by a lot, and there was nothing else I'd enjoy doing more. I do think that if there's something else you think you'd like to do for a living, it's probably best to go with that rather than medicine, just because it's such a long and challenging path. But if there's nothing else you'd rather do, then it's the right choice for you.

Resident, still feeling pretty special at times :cool:

I've never regretted my choice of going into medicine, even though if you asked me at 3 AM whether I love my job 100%, I probably would grunt and roll my eyes. But the reality is that the positive aspects outweigh the negatives by a lot, and there was nothing else I'd enjoy doing more. I do think that if there's something else you think you'd like to do for a living, it's probably best to go with that rather than medicine, just because it's such a long and challenging path. But if there's nothing else you'd rather do, then it's the right choice for you.

No way, nice Jochi! I saw in another thread you were interested in going into physiatry, is that the residency you picked?

A lot of people get into medical school not really knowing what the medical system is like. Their rose-tinted view of the world starts to cloud as they get more disillusioned / jaded. It's unfortunate but with a profession like medicine that is so overly hyped in Canada I think its inevitable. I personally feel like it's more so an issue of whether or not you had a realistic view of how things would be going into med school rather than everyone losing the "special feeling" once you end up in the hospital.

FWIW the clerks I've kept in touch with have said M3 is awesome relative to M1&2. More reading in some instances plus hours some of them aren't used to, but overall more fun. Plus you're reading, generally, on people you're seeing and interacting with all day, so it doesn't have them same feeling to it.

Keep in mind, as Jochi said, it also depends if you're asking people at the end of a torturous shift vs. on the average day.

I'm only in M2 but I still have to pinch myself mentally when I reflect on how awesome it is to be learning this stuff every day, from these people, with the resources available, the awesome classmates, the clinical experience we get and when it starts to come together and you can follow and predict and understand whats happening to a small percentage of patients... I still love it.

As Obi said correctly though, you can't expect it to be some magical thing - you've gotta find that yourself in whatever you do. Its hard work, its school, people are suffering, you're strapped for time and resources, there are egos involved, etc. but you'll find that in a lot of places. Go into it acknowledging these things and knowing that its up to you to make what you will of it (as is any career) and its possible to keep the special feeling. I've definitely seen some clinicians who manage to find it still.

No way, nice Jochi! I saw in another thread you were interested in going into physiatry, is that the residency you picked?

No, I considered physiatry for a bit, but then decided I wasn't particularly interested in any one thing - certainly not enough to commit to a 5-yr residency in anything - so family medicine was a better choice for me.

I had the opposite experience. I despised most of my clerkship, but enjoyed my M4 electives, where I had more responsibility and autonomy. I guess it is site and person dependent.

As for the special feeling, I think you're talking about pride. Are you?

ya, I meant the "high on pride" moments :D I was not surprised to bump into quite a number of people with huge ego in my class (one student in the first week even criticize the prof/doctor, and then told us "I feel bad for you guys" together with an i-know-it-all altitude)

But thankfully, the majority of people are generally nice. Wonder how thing will go in the long run

I had the opposite experience. I despised most of my clerkship

Curious if this is likely due to you getting a first glimpse of the health care industry and medical profession and the extreme to which cattiness of the hierarchy exemplifies?

I know you've talked a lot about this structured reach-around effect and if not compliant it's your a@@ in a sling so I am wondering if your dislike for M3 spawned from these initial experiences?

No judgement btw. Genuinely curious.

Archived