Premed 101 Forums

Internal medicine and FM rotations

Visitor

Hi

I'm IMG who applied for residency position both in FM and Internal medicine, and I would be really grateful for some information regarding first months at residency. For example is there something like introduction period, and how much is expected from resident in first couple of months, also how do usually night shift look because I heard some horror stories about calls in IM. Is it true that at beginning you work like 14-16h/day. It not that I am afraid of work, it is change to new system and accommodation that is scary. Thanks!

There's usually no intro, your humble servant here was on hospital call on July 1st and didn't even have a hospital record system login. Good thing a second year resident gave me her login and made herself available for the first few hours if I needed support.

IM hours are technically 8-5, but you may end up working later.

Night shift in IM is awful. Expect to cover like 90 inpatients and do 5 admissions on average/

I was on call July 1st as well. From a different province. I hadn't set foot in the hospital, much less the ward I was on. I think I got my pager the day before. I worked 26 hrs.

There is no "ease in period" of a few months. You're a doctor; we all handle it. Don't worry too much - a few coffees and it'll be ok.

I was also on call July 1. Given that it was a holiday, only me and staff rounding all on 30 ppl, I was responsible for 30 CTU inpatients I had never seen before that day all of a sudden when my senior /staff left in the morning. No in house senior until later on in the day. That was scary! Then do about 6-7 admissions that night. Good luck if you're on call Day 1. You're going to need it.

That being said, for IMGs in Ontario at least there is an "Assessment Verification Period" for about 6 weeks at the beginning of PGY-1. What that actually means I don't know, and I don't know what, if any responsibilities, you are relieved of during that time.

It's a probationary period, apparently. To quote U of T: "Successful completion of the AVP is required before candidates can obtain an educational license from the CPSO prior to full acceptance into an Ontario residency."

In harshest terms: if you don't perform up to snuff, the program has the option to dismiss you effortlessly (since they haven't really accepted you in the first place yet).

No pressure, though. (Sorry OP - this probably doesn't help your anxiety!)

I know of at least 1 university that schedules call for arriving IMGs with a Canadian grad, also R1, during the first few months of residency. They normally split calls and the IMG can ask questions to the canadian grad should the need arise. They are both considered equal (no evaluations by the Canadian grad). Both parties benefit, the IMG for backup and getting to know how we do things here, and the Canadian grad gets to have a more relax call.

It's a probationary period, apparently. To quote U of T: "Successful completion of the AVP is required before candidates can obtain an educational license from the CPSO prior to full acceptance into an Ontario residency."

In harshest terms: if you don't perform up to snuff, the program has the option to dismiss you effortlessly (since they haven't really accepted you in the first place yet).

Wow, that's just bizarre. What is the point of the LMCC then? I know there's a termination clause in every province's residency agreements, but I've heard of residents doing some VERY egregious things resulting in adverse patient outcomes (I'm not talking honest mistakes at 4 AM, but really out there, pathological behaviours) and yet these people still pass and graduate. So I wonder what it'd take to actually be expelled before your first 6 weeks are up.

I guess you have to be very lucky in your first couple of months although I have working experience it is kind of hard to get used to new things and anxiety is starting already:). Probably lot of things depend on interpersonal relations and collegiality.

Is anyone here IMG who finished that period of 6 weeks in Ontario prior to start of Residency. If there is I would like to contact him either here on on private. Thanks.

CMG's have an educational license that runs from July 1 - June 30 and is rolled over yearly throughout residency (barring any incidents). IMG's in Ontario get the AVP status for 12 weeks, and then the following day it is covered to the same educational license as everyone else until June 30.

Yes, this gives all the programs an "out" to dismiss residents who they feel will not succeed in the program (less likely due to total incompetence and more likely due to behavioural/communication issues).

That being said, for IMGs in Ontario at least there is an "Assessment Verification Period" for about 6 weeks at the beginning of PGY-1. What that actually means I don't know, and I don't know what, if any responsibilities, you are relieved of during that time.

I've worked with some IMGs undergoing the AVP while on call. Basically they had the responsibilities of a clerk.

Come July 1st you're a doctor and have the responsibilities of a junior resident. My first day of residency on July 1st I was on call for General Surgery. I was the only resident in house. I was given some phone numbers to call to review consults and other problems. So you are not really alone. There are always more senior people around who are able to lend a hand if needed. But you do need to stand on your own two feet and and are expected to manage the routine issues encountered.

Archived