Premed 101 Forums

First Semester

canada747

Hi all,

I just finished my first semester at UofT with an expected GPA between 3.15 and 3.35.

Nothing stellar, and I know that. I took 4 courses after dropping one early on, and will be taking 6 courses next semester. Will this one semester of undergrad destroy my chances at medical school?

If I get a 4.0 every semester after this, I'll end with a 3.95. I know it's very unlikely - but it's possible.

How should I study? Where do I restart? The classes I'm taking next semester are easier, and I'm avoiding the courses I know I'm bad at. Three memorization classes (ie biology, psych), a chemistry class that should be largely high school review, the math class I dropped last semester and a research seminar.

Advice? I'm looking towards Western Med. now, because of their two best years policy. If I keep my full course-load, I think I should (could) be okay for UofT med as well.

Hi all,

I just finished my first semester at UofT with an expected GPA between 3.15 and 3.35.

Nothing stellar, and I know that. I took 4 courses after dropping one early on, and will be taking 6 courses next semester. Will this one semester of undergrad destroy my chances at medical school?

If I get a 4.0 every semester after this, I'll end with a 3.95. I know it's very unlikely - but it's possible.

How should I study? Where do I restart? The classes I'm taking next semester are easier, and I'm avoiding the courses I know I'm bad at. Three memorization classes (ie biology, psych), a chemistry class that should be largely high school review, the math class I dropped last semester and a research seminar.

Advice? I'm looking towards Western Med. now, because of their two best years policy. If I keep my full course-load, I think I should (could) be okay for UofT med as well.

Will this one semester of undergrad destroy my chances at medical school?

no

will be taking 6 courses next semester

you sure that's a good idea? After you can't even handle 4?

Going from a 3.35 to a 4.0 is unlikely unless you do something dramatic in terms of the way you study. Also, you're at Uft...i'm assuming st. george campus? 4.0 is pretty difficult there from my knowledge

How should I study? Where do I restart?

Read the FAQs and search the forums on pm101 I'm sure there's people that asked that question before. Heck, even I did before.

Good luck

It took me until the second half of my 3rd year to realize how *I* study. I think for most people it involves: paying attention during lectures, reviewing constantly throughout the year (such as on the subway) and not leaving things until the last minute/preparing within a reasonable time frame.

If I were you, I'd stay away from notoriously GPA lowering courses, look up course reviews on google. Be smart with your schedules. Pick a major that interests you and another major that offers you a variety of course choice. Don't get stuck with 2 majors that force you to take a ton of specific courses. That being said, you can do well in those "hard" courses (ex. PSL300/PSL301) BUT, taking the alternative BIO270/BIO271 can get you a much higher mark for the same amount of effort. Finally, don't get sucked into the subculture of "bragging about what courses you take" that I noticed seems to be prevalent in most of my classes at U of T.

All it takes is studying all ****ing day, effectively and efficiently, while maintaining extra-curriculars. Don't expect to have much sleep or a social life. You also really need to evaluate the way you study. People take in information differently and you have to think critically about this. Because it helped me a lot. Take the break to think about why you did bad, and FIX it.

Good points. Sleep and mental health are very important though. Don't go become a hermit and all of a sudden develop depression. Balance is the essence of academic success. As soon as one aspect is broken, it creates a chain effect in other aspects of your life.

Getting straight 4.0s takes a lot of studying and also a lot of luck. I always compare getting high grades to a log graph, at first when you're climbing from the mid 3.0s every bit of effort will lead to a fair increase in your grades. However, once you hit the 3.9s and 3.95s and 4.0s, sometimes even if you try really hard you may still not consistently achieve the 90+ needed for a 4.0. Anyways, for meds I'm sure a 3.95 and a 4.0 are no diff.

Hi all,

I'm in a similar boat as you op. What really hindered my GPA this first semester was bio and english (english traditionally being my worst subject). I'm still trying to fully develop the best study strategies. Up until yesterday I thought chem was going to be a good mark for me as well. I had an A+ going into the final (which I studied for by cramming the entire day before the exam). The final ended up dropping me to a A-. And now I'm looking at a GPA in the 3.3-3.4ish range for this semester.

Obviously I've made some poor study choices this semester. I studied pretty much only for my physics exam the whole exam break and didn't pay attention to other subjects.

My advice as someone who's in a similar place as you is to not think about it too much. Put it behind you. Realize what you're capable of doing. Odds are, everyday after class you didn't go home and read the notes/lecture. You probably went on the computer/went out/did something else (I'm very guilty of this as well). Realize that this problem is very easy to correct and do something about it.

Another tip is to take a course or two online. I'm taking a psychology course online which hopefully I will finish with an A+. This is recognized by my university and is a full 3 credit course. So it will help out with offsetting my first semester GPA.

Also realize that most schools in Canada are forgiving of your first year (some first two years). I don't know about American school GPA weighting policies for Canadians, but just going off averages, you still have a while to go and 1/8 of your GPA being in the 3.15 range is barely going to do anything (as long as you step your game up for the other 7/8), and US schools really weigh your MCAT heavily as well.

Overall, like I said, it was your first semester. Break your bad study habits, really it just comes down to focus. I now severely regret coming home and doing unproductive things when I could of been studying. I have a general idea about what I need to correct so I'll fix it.

I'm in a similar boat as you op. What really hindered my GPA this first semester was bio and english (english traditionally being my worst subject). I'm still trying to fully develop the best study strategies. Up until yesterday I thought chem was going to be a good mark for me as well. I had an A+ going into the final (which I studied for by cramming the entire day before the exam). The final ended up dropping me to a A-. And now I'm looking at a GPA in the 3.3-3.4ish range for this semester.

Obviously I've made some poor study choices this semester. I studied pretty much only for my physics exam the whole exam break and didn't pay attention to other subjects.

My advice as someone who's in a similar place as you is to not think about it too much. Put it behind you. Realize what you're capable of doing. Odds are, everyday after class you didn't go home and read the notes/lecture. You probably went on the computer/went out/did something else (I'm very guilty of this as well). Realize that this problem is very easy to correct and do something about it.

Another tip is to take a course or two online. I'm taking a psychology course online which hopefully I will finish with an A+. This is recognized by my university and is a full 3 credit course. So it will help out with offsetting my first semester GPA.

Also realize that most schools in Canada are forgiving of your first year (some first two years). I don't know about American school GPA weighting policies for Canadians, but just going off averages, you still have a while to go and 1/8 of your GPA being in the 3.15 range is barely going to do anything (as long as you step your game up for the other 7/8), and US schools really weigh your MCAT heavily as well.

Overall, like I said, it was your first semester. Break your bad study habits, really it just comes down to focus. I now severely regret coming home and doing unproductive things when I could of been studying. I have a general idea about what I need to correct so I'll fix it.

You've made the 1st step into university once you do what you said.

Now only if the other 10 billion high school kids can realize what they are getting into before they post here.....

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't received all of my marks back yet, but it seems like it's even lower than I expected. Probably about a 3.08.

I'm going to try to forget it and keep moving forward, with more effort. Thanks.

Forget what exactly? Please figure out what went wrong and learn from your mistakes.

Maybe you have not developed the right study habits thus far. Pick up the book "How to become a straight A student" by Cal Newport.

It's not about putting in more effort but rather being more efficient with your studying.

• 6 years later...
On 12/20/2013 at 11:36 AM, canada747 said:

Hi all,

Update: I'm a second year medical student now.

16 hours ago, ArdentMed said:

Consider switching to A ) an easier university (York, Western, etc.) and B ) an easier major (psychology, kinesiology, integrated sciences, health sciences, etc.). Medical schools care little about where you earned and what you did for your degree.

Good luck.  

Thanks - I posted this 7 years ago. Didn't drop out, just got more disciplined. I'm a M2 now. :)