Premed 101 Forums

"Appealing" for an interview?

Big Booty

Hi folks,

I'm applying to a fairly competitive program. I was lucky enough to get a fair chunk of interviews - enough that I feel fairly comfortable about matching - but I didn't get an invite to one of my top choice schools. Actually, I didn't get anything, because it is one of those schools that only contacts those they're interviewing. (But I know that the invites are out).

I didn't do an elective at this program due to some weird scheduling quirks, and found out late in the cycle that this program is generally biased toward people who have done electives there. Maybe that's what did it?

Long story long, is there any utility to emailing the Program Director (or program assistant) a quick "Hey I'm really interested in your program and would love to see it during an interview" email? I also have a few major research updates (3 publications submitted) I could throw in to make it a bit more subtle. I could phrase it as an application update.

On the one hand, what do I have to lose? On the other hand, since this program doesn't outright decline anyone, maybe I would have gotten an invite sometime in the next couple weeks and the PD would be annoyed at boot me off the "wait list", or whatever.

Thoughts?

Chances are it won't do any good, but I don't think you'd do much harm.

I might approach it by acknowledging that there are many applicants for the position, then saying you'd appreciate their consideration if an interview spot became available. Briefly explain that the program is appealing, and that, unfortunately, scheduling conflicts prevented you from visiting for an elective.

You could add a "For your reference, I have attached my CV, recently updated with several submissions for publication" kind of comment at the end.

A long shot... probably? But stranger things have happened.

I agree that it's probably 95% likely to have no effect. I'm sure there are the odd stories where it worked, but probably several times more where it didn't and maybe even a couple where it hurt.

If I'm going to go through with this, should I email the Program Director directly (scary) or the program assistant (risk of getting filtered out)?

Maybe I should CC all of the Program Directors across the country, so the one at this school can see that I'm really committed? ;)

Archived