Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances? Returning to undergrad after working

Guest doctorped

Guest doctorped

Hello,

I am still interested in a career in the medical field and specifically, to become a physician. But, I am wondering if it's at all possible for me. I am hoping for some feedback, opinions and ideas.

Here's an update on my situation:

I need to upgrade courses (I received a B.A.) as I need certain pre-reqs and a raised (overall?) G.P.A. My problem is deciding what course of action to take. Currently, I'm employed in a totally different field and it's not one I wish to remain in the rest of my life. It is manual labour and it's only because I didn't pursue anything past a B.A. (Psych) so my choices of jobs were rather limited. I also had debts so I took what work I could find. Finally, I make decent money but nothing great. My main interests are medicine, music and automobiles. I think I'd make a fantastic physician and everything related to it interests me. But, it's depressing to consider the obstacles and I can't seem to get any closer to pursuing such a quest.

Money is the main obstacle, I think. That and time. I am on an afternoon shift and I had problems managing time so that I couldn't finish a correspondance course. When I was on a day shift, I was able to manage. I am wondering if I should change shifts when I'm allowed?

Is there anyone out there reading this who had to change careers or basically started anew and was able (or tried) to pursue a career in medicine? If anyone has any ideas or advice, I'd appreciate it. I'm older so you might say I'm a bit hesitant to jump into drastic change. I just need a good plan and something that makes sense. Even though money is a huge obstacle, I'd rather attempt to gain entry to medical school and pursue such a career than be unhappy with a current occupation. I hope I'm not dissuaded from pursuing medicine but I understand if the obstacles are too great. I'm interested in any opinion and advice.

Thanks.

(Sorry, for the length of the post.)

Guest treehuggingbiologist

You seem keen, but just a suggestion - if money is tight, and you enjoy working with cars, why not do a college course as a mechanic and go that route? The money is really good in the trades (from what I hear) and you wouldn't accumulate any more debt (which a career in medicine would have you do).

That being said, life experience is very important, and you appear to have it in spades (unlike some other students *cough*second years*cough*) which is a definite leg up. As long as you can convince the admissions committee that you want to do meds, and your "journey" so to speak has convinced you that this is the route for you, you could raise a compelling argument. The money is a problem, but if you really want to do it, then it *is* only money, and loans, LOC's, bursaries and such can help you out. Its tough, but where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck to you!

Guest weerdo

All I have to say is, that if you want it...just do it. Stop hesitating and thinking about the possible pressures,the possible failures and the possible money troubles, and start thinking about the positives, the accomplishments, and the reward at the end of it all.

I was most likley in your exact situation. Married, 2 kids, 34 years old and last attended college in 1989. I enrolled at UofT in 2003, attended full-time while still working, and worked as a T/A, which allowed me to pay off my tutiton as I went through.

I know that it's alot of work, but I put it off for more than 10 years b/c it just seemed like too much to handle, with too much at stake for my family. Then I finally came to the realization...10 years later...that it was ME that was the obstacle, not all the uncertainty. The absolute worst that could happen I thought, was that, if money or stress became an issue, I would just quit and be happy with the fact that I honestly tried my best.

Now, I'm starting meds in the fall and leaving my job of 18 years. Iknow that the real pressures are yet to come, but I can live with that uncertainty now.

If this is really what you want, and you honestly remain commited throughout, your chances are just as good as anyone else.

Don't stop yourself before you try. As thb stated..it is only money.

Good Luck.

Guest anvah

Hi Weerdo,

Congragulations. I am inspired by your post. I'm attending school currently (after working for some time) and am going for it. I came to your realization as well.

Good luck!

Anvah.

Guest doctorped

treehuggingbiologist, I discovered the path to mechanic is tough as you make paltry wages at first and it takes a while until you obtain the work and pay you desire. I read and heard about so many who tried the mechanic/apprenticeship but didn't like what they experienced. They liked working on cars but not the route. Also, I like it as a hobby myself and was turned off from what I learned (first hand accounts etc.). The reality with the trades is that those which produce jobs that meet demand (machinist/engineering/electrician/plumber etc.) are the ones that become high-paying soonest. The other important factor to consider is that many of the trade jobs aren't that desirable and that is why goverments are using all these marketing strategies for them.

The money problem is worrisome because I don't have savings to fall back on and while I would be going to school, I wonder how much I can have on hand while learning/studying.

weerdo, but I'm practically on my own if I go back to school. I don't have savings or any family providing me money or support. It would be of my own accord. I plan to move to a day shift at my job when I obtain the opportunity and return to my correspondance courses for upgrading. At least, with that, I'd be moving towards my goal and giving myself that option.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback and advice. I appreciate it greatly. Keep it coming! ;-)

Archived