Premed 101 Forums

What if you don't get in?

I don't mean to be a debbie downer but I am just curious. Not getting in is a large possibility for me. Having to defer three exams and have more second year credits used to calculate my subGPA has had a really negative impact. My plans are either do an extra undergrad semester or a one year college program and reapply. I was considering applying to other masters programs but I just don't have the time to submit quality applications so I will be holding off on that for the year.

I'm just wondering what your backup plans are? Will you reapply to OT/PT if you don't get in the first time?

I don't mean to be a debbie downer but I am just curious. Not getting in is a large possibility for me. Having to defer three exams and have more second year credits used to calculate my subGPA has had a really negative impact. My plans are either do an extra undergrad semester or a one year college program and reapply. I was considering applying to other masters programs but I just don't have the time to submit quality applications so I will be holding off on that for the year.

I'm just wondering what your backup plans are? Will you reapply to OT/PT if you don't get in the first time?

Having received all rejections last year (in terms of OT programs) I found it was most beneficial for myself to work and volunteer for a year. I figured both experience and the monetary component would be helpful come 2014 - or beyond since there is no knowing whether I'll get in this year or have to try a third time. All in all life goes on. All the best and good luck! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I applied last year but my grades weren't competitive enough so I took 5 extra courses to boost my GPA. It kind of sucked but if your GPA is low and this is what you want to do, taking additional courses might be the best option. If you decide to go to college but still want to do PT/OT, make sure those college courses will be counted towards your sub-GPA.

• 1 month later...

Is it better to:

(1) do a second undergrad ie a Bsc of Occupational therapy (my first degree is in psyc)?

(2) do a semester as an independent student and take bird classes to improve my gpa and then reapply in 2015?

Is it better to:

(1) do a second undergrad ie a Bsc of Occupational therapy (my first degree is in psyc)?

(2) do a semester as an independent student and take bird classes to improve my gpa and then reapply in 2015?

I feel like OTs nowadays need their MSc to have more opportunities in the future. Some universities will give some flexibility for those who have already done a B.Sc.OT but aim for the M.Sc.OT program. If you feel your GPA is bringing you out of contention, then bring that up with courses. Best of luck! :)

Thanks for your reply DoctaK :)

A Master's degree is actually required to practice. The ''traditional'' route to get there is to do the Bsc-Masters continuum of occupational therapy (5 years). However, some universities allow students who have a bachelor from another discipline (like myself) to apply to the graduate level. Given that my undergrad gpa is not competitive, I know that my best bet would be to take more credits and reapply to the MOT in 2015 but what if I don't get in even after improving my gpa? Is it better to not take that risk and apply to the Bsc-Masters continuum instead ?

Thanks for your reply DoctaK :)

A Master's degree is actually required to practice. The ''traditional'' route to get there is to do the Bsc-Masters continuum of occupational therapy (5 years). However, some universities allow students who have a bachelor from another discipline (like myself) to apply to the graduate level. Given that my undergrad gpa is not competitive, I know that my best bet would be to take more credits and reapply to the MOT in 2015 but what if I don't get in even after improving my gpa? Is it better to not take that risk and apply to the Bsc-Masters continuum instead ?

Well I guess it depends what your marks look like now and how confident you feel about you improving them. Definitely take more credits, whether its independent or in a second B.Sc, and bring up the GPA. In my opinion, people need to have to reach a certain point before they should stop taking the risk. Working hard to bring up your marks this coming year and, if needed, next year will get you into OT within 2 years. Doing the continuum will waste extra years. You know you can do well and its within your reach; fight for the next year and try again! Imagine getting accepted and you being an OT 3 years from now...much better than 5 years.

yes I would definitly prefer to start the MOT asap but at the same time I have to be realistic. Most applicants have a 3.7-3.8 gpa and I am far from that. I wonder if I could do one semester from the continuum and then still apply for the MOT in 2015? But I think the policy is that once you start the continuum you can't get out...im not sure tho

Well I guess it depends what your marks look like now and how confident you feel about you improving them. Definitely take more credits, whether its independent or in a second B.Sc, and bring up the GPA. In my opinion, people need to have to reach a certain point before they should stop taking the risk. Working hard to bring up your marks this coming year and, if needed, next year will get you into OT within 2 years. Doing the continuum will waste extra years. You know you can do well and its within your reach; fight for the next year and try again! Imagine getting accepted and you being an OT 3 years from now...much better than 5 years.

Archived