Premed 101 Forums

U of T Interview Discussion 2014

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb her, having no information, and say that they've probably sent out all their invites for Mar 1/2 and are awaiting confirmations.

Yeah, I think you're right, it seems like that's the case.

Now the pressure is on for March 29th and 30th! (or a late 1st or 2nd invite)

I have a friend who I know definitely got a rejection, it is funny nobody else has posted one yet though.

I wonder if people just aren't posting, or if not that many rejects have been sent out (and why would that be?)

Either way, those of us still waiting to find out about invites/regrets will know soon enough. Just need to find distractions (besides pm101 :P )

I have a friend who I know definitely got a rejection, it is funny nobody else has posted one yet though.

Do you mind posting approx. stats or any potential red flags you can imagine of your friends who received regrets? Just curious if there is any pattern as to which applications they hold on to in order to see the rest of the applicant pool and which ones get notification of regrets more quickly.

Waiting sucks, but speculation does help to pass the time

Can somebody explain to me how the academy selection process goes:

Do we just get lumped into St george or Mississauga at the time offers are released and then, if accepted for St George, you rank the three downtown ones?

or

You get accepted for U of T and then you rank the 4? I thought they told you when you were accepted the campus you were going to be placed.

But the webpage FAQ says: "After you are accepted you will be given a chance to rank your preference of academy - make sure you choose the location that best suits you"

Sorry just a bit confused.

Do we just get lumped into St george or Mississauga at the time offers are released and then, if accepted for St George, you rank the three downtown ones?

or

You get accepted for U of T and then you rank the 4? I thought they told you when you were accepted the campus you were going to be placed.

But the webpage FAQ says: "After you are accepted you will be given a chance to rank your preference of academy - make sure you choose the location that best suits you"

You will get either St. George or MAM when you receive your offer.

If you get St. George, you will then rank the 3 different academies.

or

1. After your interview, you will receive a survey with 3 choices, asking you to indicate whether you prefer "St.George", "MAM", or "No Preference".

2. Admissions committee are BLINDED to your selection. ie. Whatever you pick will NOT change your final ranking in the offer/waitlist.

3. Once the admissions committee finalized a ranking list, they try their best to place you in the campus of choice (either St.George or MAM). Your offer is tied to a campus. (e.g. If you prefer St.George, but you receive offer for U of T @ MAM, you reject U of T, period)

4. Yes, if you get St.George, you will then get to rank your preference for the remaining 3 academies in late May.

Food for thought:

-The academic curriculum is exactly the same at St.George and MAM.

-Please talk to the MAM reps during the interview or on the MAM tour. You will get a feel for some of the difference in experience. I won't lie. There ARE differences. I can say with confidence, though, that although I selected St.George as my preference, in retrospect I would have picked No Preference or MAM.

1. After your interview, you will receive a survey with 3 choices, asking you to indicate whether you prefer "St.George", "MAM", or "No Preference".

2. Admissions committee are BLINDED to your selection. ie. Whatever you pick will NOT change your final ranking in the offer/waitlist.

3. Once the admissions committee finalized a ranking list, they try their best to place you in the campus of choice (either St.George or MAM). Your offer is tied to a campus. (e.g. If you prefer St.George, but you receive offer for U of T @ MAM, you reject U of T, period)

4. Yes, if you get St.George, you will then get to rank your preference for the remaining 3 academies in late May.

Food for thought:

-The academic curriculum is exactly the same at St.George and MAM.

-Please talk to the MAM reps during the interview or on the MAM tour. You will get a feel for some of the difference in experience. I won't lie. There ARE differences. I can say with confidence, though, that although I selected St.George as my preference, in retrospect I would have picked No Preference or MAM.

Which site is more popular?

Definitely talk to people about MAM! I believe there should be MAM students at every interview day - and certainly MAMers on the MAM tour!!

There are lots of good things about MAM! Some have already been mentioned - 24 hours access to our prosection lab (as opposed to limited extended hours at the labs downtown around exams), great facilities, amazing admin:student ratio (which leads to a very personalized approach at MAM) and relatively fewer learners in the MAM hospitals (means more hands-on and contact with staff in clerkship). UTM has new library and gym and several new buildings on campus with lots of study space (above and beyond the Health Sciences Complex). And it's true - MAM is only a short (free) bus ride from downtown! 35 minutes campus-campus outside of rush hour, on a free UTM shuttle that runs ~every 20 min during the week!

Definitely talk to people about MAM! I believe there should be MAM students at every interview day - and certainly MAMers on the MAM tour!!

There are lots of good things about MAM! Some have already been mentioned - 24 hours access to our prosection lab (as opposed to limited extended hours at the labs downtown around exams), great facilities, amazing admin:student ratio (which leads to a very personalized approach at MAM) and relatively fewer learners in the MAM hospitals (means more hands-on and contact with staff in clerkship). UTM has new library and gym and several new buildings on campus with lots of study space (above and beyond the Health Sciences Complex). And it's true - MAM is only a short (free) bus ride from downtown! 35 minutes campus-campus outside of rush hour, on a free UTM shuttle that runs ~every 20 min during the week!

If you are assigned to MAM, will you ever have classes downtown in the St. George campus?

If you are assigned to MAM, will you ever have classes downtown in the St. George campus?

You only have to come to downtown for anatomy labs, which start at 10am. All the lectures are video-conferenced to MAM. Not to mention most of them are recorded so you pretty much don't even have to go to class...:rolleyes:

I sometimes regret not picking MAM, living in Mississauga is so much cheaper than living downtown...

Can anyone give some insight to the different Academies that are offered for the St. George Campus? So far I know that the different academies have different teaching facilities/hospitals and are different in size, but other than that, are there any other differences? What helped you decide on which academy?

Thanks! :)

Archived