Premed 101 Forums

As a 3rd or 4th year medical student looking for references during a 2 week radiology elective, I noticed that radiology electives are very passive on the student's part. The Rads read images at blazing speeds, and do procedures that are very difficult for a medical student to get involved in.

My question is how is a student supposed to get a "excellent" LOR at the end of a rotation when the rotation is so passive?

I asked the Rad I was with, and he says that these electives by their very nature are very passive on the student's part. All you can do is show interest and ask questions (but not too many otherwise you can be annoying).

Any thoughts? Experiences?

It's tough to find preceptors who have enough time to teach learners beyond the preceptors' commitments to their case load and residents. But they do exist. Find one/two at your home school and find ways to put in time on a regular basis. In this time you should show that you're interested, reading, and learning. One good radiology letter is often enough.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2nd question: what kind of reference letters do radiology schools like to see?

I was thinking about giving 3 LOR as follows:

2 radiology letters

1 radiation oncology or Internal(end of 3rd year) or Surgery Letter(end of 3rd year letter) - any opinions on which field is best for a letter assuming all letters are equally good.

I could probably also get letters for Pediatrics, but I feel that would be irrelevant to Rad schools. Thoughts?

Archived