Premed 101 Forums

New Medical School in Quebec?

Today I found an article online about a potential new medical school, I was wondering if anyone has heard any more information about this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/plans-for-western-quebec-medical-school-await-approval-1.2495642

"Plans are in the works to operate a satellite medical school for Montreal’s McGill University starting in 2016.

While McGill’s medical school already sends students to the region for internships and residencies, the new plan would include coursework through videoconferencing and partnerships with the Hull hospital and University of Quebec’s Outaouais campus."

This is new news to me. Haven't heard of any announcement within the faculty yet.

It'll be interesting to see if they decide on French as the language of instruction. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/group-lobbies-for-gatineau-med-school-1.726110

Sceptical

Thing is, if they plan to video conference our lectures to the site, the language of instruction would need to be English. This seems like an absolutely excellent plan to combat the family doc shortage though, there is some interest at our main campus but not nearly enough as they need.. We traditionally only match 18% and just from our class it doesn't seem like it'll increase to the 30%+ levels they really need. I think this model has worked beautifully for UBC and McMaster, so it sounds like a great idea :).

28,000 in West Quebec don't have family doctors?

That statistic confuses me - assuming they all want one (which may not be the case, I mean a lot of young people for instance don't seek out a family doctors. ha - right now I don't have a family doctor) - that really isn't that powerful of a demand. Average case load of 1500 to 2000 patients and 15-20 family doctors would fill the void. Not exactly screaming let's build a school - it could have as few as 8 students a year at 60% family doctor match rate with the majority staying as the article says and fill the void less than 5 years or so. Then what?

I am sure there is a bigger argument than that :)

28,000 in West Quebec don't have family doctors?

That statistic confuses me - assuming they all want one (which may not be the case, I mean a lot of young people for instance don't seek out a family doctors. ha - right now I don't have a family doctor) - that really isn't that powerful of a demand. Average case load of 1500 to 2000 patients and 15-20 family doctors would fill the void. Not exactly screaming let's build a school - it could have as few as 8 students a year at 60% family doctor match rate with the majority staying as the article says and fill the void less than 5 years or so. Then what?

I am sure there is a bigger argument than that :)

It *may* be for Quebec in General, hence perhaps McGill's interest? I know the island of Montreal isn't doing so hot with family doctor number and having a more rural satellite campus often attracts and encourages generalism among the students. Perhaps it's in part then to fill the void experienced by QC in general, and especially in terms of how few downtown campus students choose FM? But that's all speculation :)

It *may* be for Quebec in General, hence perhaps McGill's interest? I know the island of Montreal isn't doing so hot with family doctor number and having a more rural satellite campus often attracts and encourages generalism among the students. Perhaps it's in part then to fill the void experienced by QC in general, and especially in terms of how few downtown campus students choose FM? But that's all speculation :)

Maybe :) I am just saying the article isn't exactly presenting a solid argument, and there probably is an argument somewhere. Maybe that is it!

I think what he meant was for Clerkship - i.e. the integrated clerkship in Gatineau :P

Yeah I presume CBC used the term internship in the article since more people have an idea what that means compared to the term clerkship, despite the two things not being the same.

Either way this story is interesting news, I'm just surprised I haven't heard anything about this plan before.

Archived