Premed 101 Forums

MD in French med school and practice in English provinces upon graduation?

Ellennn

I am a Quebec resident and studied in the french system up until secondaire 2, when my family moved to Toronto. I finished up high school in Ontario, and came back to Quebec (McGill) for university. I'm currently in my first year.

I'm looking into applying to the "annee preparatoire" of UdeM (I think the other two French med schools have similar programs too?), after I complete the pre-requisite courses at McGill. But I wonder if going to a French med school will hinder my professional career as a doctor. Will I have to practice in Quebec? Or will I be free to practice anywhere? What about residency?

I was thinking that the ideal med school would be McGill for me, because honestly my French has became rusty... And McGill will still allow me to pay the Quebec tuition. But the three French med schools just seem to be SO MUCH LESS competitive!

So what are the disadvantages of going to a French med school, if I may want to end up practicing in Ontario (where my family is)?

I am a Quebec resident and studied in the french system up until secondaire 2, when my family moved to Toronto. I finished up high school in Ontario, and came back to Quebec (McGill) for university. I'm currently in my first year.

I'm looking into applying to the "annee preparatoire" of UdeM (I think the other two French med schools have similar programs too?), after I complete the pre-requisite courses at McGill. But I wonder if going to a French med school will hinder my professional career as a doctor. Will I have to practice in Quebec? Or will I be free to practice anywhere? What about residency?

I was thinking that the ideal med school would be McGill for me, because honestly my French has became rusty... And McGill will still allow me to pay the Quebec tuition. But the three French med schools just seem to be SO MUCH LESS competitive!

So what are the disadvantages of going to a French med school, if I may want to end up practicing in Ontario (where my family is)?

I know the french med schools have grades unlike the rest of canada where its just pass/fail so im not sure how programs would evaluate those compared to english speaking schools. I doubt there would be much of a disadvantage and even if you end up doing residency in quebec, you could always move after and find work in ontario or something. I'd say, polish up on your french and apply. the waitlists at those schools move in the hundreds so definitely good shot if you're a competitive applicant

you can do your residency elsewhere, no issue there.

As far as french schools not being P/F, its only worth a certain percent of your residency application and if your in the average (B,B+) you should be fine regardless. This seems to be the general consensus at my school.

I know the french med schools have grades unlike the rest of canada where its just pass/fail so im not sure how programs would evaluate those compared to english speaking schools. I doubt there would be much of a disadvantage and even if you end up doing residency in quebec, you could always move after and find work in ontario or something. I'd say, polish up on your french and apply. the waitlists at those schools move in the hundreds so definitely good shot if you're a competitive applicant

Thanks for the info!

arrh. French...

I will need to work hard to get the fluency back.. But it definitely sounds like there are more chances with French med schools

Thanks for the info!

arrh. French...

I will need to work hard to get the fluency back.. But it definitely sounds like there are more chances with French med schools!

you can do your residency elsewhere, no issue there.

As far as french schools not being P/F, its only worth a certain percent of your residency application and if your in the average (B,B+) you should be fine regardless. This seems to be the general consensus at my school.

Is it hard to transition from French to English when you work? Like the professional terminologies and such? I have never taken sciences in French, so I'm a bit worried about doing it all in French.

you are going to pick up the french very fast.

I was in your situation at the start of the year, i had not studied french since highschool and that was ~7 years ago, thus my french was horrible. Now one semester later, my french is still horrible but at least i can manage :)

most textbooks are in english anyways so the transition wont be that bad, it might be difficult to explain what you are trying to say at first, but thats about it. All the anglos i know here are able to manage.

Is it hard to transition from French to English when you work? Like the professional terminologies and such? I have never taken sciences in French, so I'm a bit worried about doing it all in French.

Well I work in a French medical field and I haven't read a textbook or an article in French since high school.

But I wonder if going to a French med school will hinder my professional career as a doctor. Will I have to practice in Quebec? Or will I be free to practice anywhere? What about residency?

Anywhere. Remember that Quebec is a Canadian province. Why would you not be able to work within the same country!? Plus, our medical education is highly valued pretty much anywhere in the world. Won't be a problem. And you do not have to absolutely apply for a residency in Quebec.

But I wonder if going to a French med school will hinder my professional career? I was thinking that the ideal med school would be McGill for me, because honestly my French has became rusty... And McGill will still allow me to pay the Quebec tuition. The three French med schools just seem to be SO MUCH LESS competitive!

Excuse me but... WTF? If you want to eventually be a good and respected person/doctor, change your condescending ways. Why would we be so much less (in cap letters!) competitive? You think we are dumb and get a diploma that is worth nothing? That we get it "by default" and not because we earned it with hard work throughout the years?

None. Except maybe some of your colleagues won't approve your God complex.

Excuse me but... WTF? If you want to eventually be a good and respected person/doctor, change your condescending ways. Why would we be so much less (in cap letters!) competitive? You think we are dumb and get a diploma that is worth nothing? That we get it "by default" and not because we earned it with hard work throughout the years?

I think we should forgive her she doesn't know what she's talking about

Hey Kitkat, I sincerely don't think the OP meant to offend anyone. I don't believe that the McGill MD graduates are better/more competent than their UdeM/ULaval/Sherbrooke counterparts, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the three schools I've just mentioned are less competitive than McGill/Ontario schools.

The requirements are just not the same. You don't need any ECs to get in those. You don't need to write an essay. You don't have to think about writing the MCAT. You don't need references.

Grades and reasonable social skills should get you in those three without a problem, whereas McGill and other medical schools require a lot more.

Hey Kitkat, I sincerely don't think the OP meant to offend anyone. I don't believe that the McGill MD graduates are better/more competent than their UdeM/ULaval/Sherbrooke counterparts, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the three schools I've just mentioned are less competitive than McGill/Ontario schools.

The requirements are just not the same. You don't need any ECs to get in those. You don't need to write an essay. You don't have to think about writing the MCAT. You don't need references.

Grades and reasonable social skills should get you in those three without a problem, whereas McGill and other medical schools require a lot more.

Thanks SunAndMoon! It's exactly what I mean, no ECs, references, MCAT and such. I absolutely don't mean to offend french med schools, but I'm sorry if any offence is taken. Also, there are in fact more seats in french med schools, considering there are less francophone applicants than anglophones.

Anywhere. Remember that Quebec is a Canadian province. Why would you not be able to work within the same country!? Plus, our medical education is highly valued pretty much anywhere in the world. Won't be a problem. And you do not have to absolutely apply for a residency in Quebec.

As SunAndMoon mentioned, the French med schools are less competitive than say McGill or UofT because of their admission requirements/selection process. They don't require flashing ECs, multiple reference letters, academic history workbooks, MCATs etc. Also, there are in fact much less francophone applicants. This is what I mean when I say much less competitive, only by looking at the admission requirements and the numbers (# of seats every year vs # of applicants). I use capital letters to bring out my point/emphasis sometimes, no offence intended. The thought of you (not you as individual, but quoting what you said) are dumb and your diploma is worth nothing never came across me. Of course French med schools are every bit as challenging as the English ones, and I'm sure the application process is serious and demanding. All I'm saying is that it is LESS competitive and more reasonable in comparison to other English ones.

Il y a quand même moins d'applicants aux universités du Quebec par rapport aux postes disponibles. La qualité de l'éducation est quand même excellente, pour avoir travaillé dans les quatre CHU. A la fin, après les examens du Collège, tu peux pratiquer partout!

Je suis sûre que la qualité de l'éducation est aussi excellente dans les écoles francophones. Je dis que la compétition est moins intense just parce qu'il y a moins d'applicants par rapport aux postes disponibles, comme vouz avez dit, et c'est tout. Je ne pensais pas que ça va amener des commentaires de ce genre... Merci pour votre information!

Archived