Premed 101 Forums

Could someone explain the process to get into medical school?

Hi, I was wondering what was the process to get into medical school.

Also, an estimated GPA, ECs and Volunteering hours

Thank you :)

These simple instructions are for Canada and specifically Ontario. :)

1. Finish high school

2. Go to any recognized university.

3. Write your MCAT (optional, depending on med school) before you apply.

4a. Do some EC's you enjoy (sports, clubs, etc)

4b. Volunteer to get perspective on what it means to help others. (2-3 positions, for a few months each is probably a good minimum)

4c. cGPA (using the OMSAS conversion scale) >3.85-3.9 to be competitive

5. Think about 3 people you want to write references for you.

6. Apply to med school during 3rd year or after - to meet October deadline.

7. Wait for interview invites that come out in January

8. Attend interview and rock it.

9. Get results for rejection/acceptance/waitlist in mid-May (usually the 15th)

10. Come post on PM101 May 15th and join the post-premed family.

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, I have a few more questions if you don't mind:

1) I'm planning on getting my Bsc in Psychology, would that affect my candidature in any way?

2) What if I don't get accepted for an interview/ to med school?

No as long as you meet the pre reqs for Ottawa and Toronto/any school you apply to.

that's up to you.

What if GPA was the problem?

How could you increase your GPA if you are done your 4 years undergrad?

You could delay graduation and do a fifth year, you could do a special year after your graduation (others will know more about this), or you can do a 2nd degree.

But would all these loans be worth med school?

Or simply go ahead with a bsc in psychology?

bsc in psych won't get you jack. A clinical psychologist requires a PhD in a psychological field plus clinical practicum.

Bsc in psych is simply wetting your feet. Now, combining a degree in psych with say business, health policy, kine, and even law can prove a useful and unique skillset to carry you onward in an unrelated psych career but by itself, relatively useless

bsc in psych won't get you jack. A clinical psychologist requires a PhD in a psychological field plus clinical practicum.

Bsc in psych is simply wetting your feet. Now, combining a degree in psych with say business, health policy, kine, and even law can prove a useful and unique skillset to carry you onward in an unrelated psych career but by itself, relatively useless

yeah I am glad I have a degree in psych, but really do think it is best combined with something else as well. Clinical psychology is a great career by the way.

yeah I am glad I have a degree in psych, but really do think it is best combined with something else as well. Clinical psychology is a great career by the way.

Great career but pretty competitive as well :)

There are some pretty cool programs you can do though like this joint program at Simon Fraser http://www.sfu.ca/psyc/law/Handbook.pdf in clinical forensic psychology and law

Sorry, by bsc in psychology I implied going all the way (as in a phd afterwards), or continuing trying to get to med school.

I want to be a doctor for many reasons other than financial reasons, but from what I've heard, psychologist don't earn nearly as much as psychiatrist :/

That interests me, assuming that my medical school candidature would be rejected, I could go into law with my psychology degree? Would that be a recommended area of work/path?

Archived