Premed 101 Forums

IMG spots

Some programs have a lot of IMG spots in the first round while others have none. What factors influence the distribution of IMG spots in the first round of the CaRMS match? Who makes the decision to allocate these spots?

Usually the province allocates spots to the university, than the university distributes the spots. At least that's my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

it also depends on the province. Some province's allocate the number of spots they are willing to pay for and as such the number of spots sort of fluctuates around. Then, potentially if other sources of funds are available to the school, it can try to add additional IMG spots or whatever.

Some programs have a lot of IMG spots based purely on politics/need. Like the university needs to show it produces a lot of family doctors, so it adds a ton of openings to IMGs. You don't see that much with the specialities because they are already in huge demand by the students.

All of the information in this thread is wrong. The province sets the number of IMG spots based largely on politics. Schools determine the specific allocation between specialties. Number of spots is always a maximum - like with CMGs, programs can choose to not rank applicants who they feel are not competitive or appropriate, hence fluctuation.

I think universities can modify these spots slightly. It would explain why some years there is 1 spot in some specialties while other years there isn't. My guess is these are people who had connections (parents are faculty).

ok, no :) That just isn't the case. Funding is central (just like it is for all specialties), allocation to specific specialties is at the centre level.

This idea that you can easily pull strings in the system is false I think. It is actually quite amazing how often I know children of faculty that cannot find a spot (amazing because they are often good candidates).

All of the information in this thread is wrong. The province sets the number of IMG spots based largely on politics.

pretty sure that's what I said. And CaRMs CMG positions may be fixed each year, but there are definitely alternative systems. Positions outside of carms for transfers, return to training programs for working doctors wanting to switch professions, etc.

Archived