Premed 101 Forums

weaknesses

Guest CHUBBY

Guest Isoceles

I think that the consensus (when this has been asked before) has been not to use a "sneaky" answer - that is, giving a 'positive' weakness, such as "I am too much of a perfectionist"...:rolleyes

Rather, giving one of your actual weaknesses and then explaining how you have been/are in the process of improving upon it, shows alot more character and depth.

Guest GundamDX

or even if it's a "i care too much" weakness ... I think it's fine as long as you back it up with actual experience and how that has backfired and how by "not correcting" this weakness you'd compromise your career as a physician.

Guest DancingDoc

But can't you go too far the other way and make them wonder if that weakness will hold you back too much for them to accept you..... Where do you draw the line?

Guest DancingDoc

I always have trouble with that, because if you've worked on it so it's not a problem so much anymore than it's not really your weakness anymore. It was a weakness, which to me is just as sneaky an answer..... I hate this question!!! lol

• 12 years later...

None of us are perfect, we are all works in progress. 

Back in the day as a premed, I was very shy, which was a serious weakness. I had to work on it. I put myself into uncomfortable situations that forced me to grow and develop. I can hardly remember that shy girl, lol. 

Today, you have a “weakness” that you are working on. Think. State what it is and how you are working on it. :P

On 10/21/2018 at 3:48 PM, Bambi said:

Today, you have a “weakness” that you are working on. Think. State what it is and how you are working on it. :P

I agree. I tend to look at it like this: if you have a weakness, you know about it and you aren't working on it, you now have two weaknesses.

I've also been told that it is also a mistake to state a weakness and then turn it around and say "but it's really a strength because....".

On 10/20/2018 at 5:33 PM, kerenza said:

Bump

To answer your bump, my cop-out answer is to talk about a true weakness but disguise it as something that is "too good", and then hide it under how I am working to improve. 

ie. I can be a workaholic, am always happy to take on new projects and sometimes get stressed with my workload without realizing it. But after a few times of working 100+ hours/week where I really started to feel the burn-out, I've worked more on my time-management skills, prioritizing tasks, and also work-life balance. 

Here, you answered the question, but you're leaving the interviewer on a good note without obviously making it a "well its actually a strength too..."

1 hour ago, chiynadoll said:

To answer your bump, my cop-out answer is to talk about a true weakness but disguise it as something that is "too good", and then hide it under how I am working to improve. 

ie. I can be a workaholic, am always happy to take on new projects and sometimes get stressed with my workload without realizing it. But after a few times of working 100+ hours/week where I really started to feel the burn-out, I've worked more on my time-management skills, prioritizing tasks, and also work-life balance. 

Here, you answered the question, but you're leaving the interviewer on a good note without obviously making it a "well its actually a strength too..."

Disagree, that’s such a cop out and they know it. They will know thatsbsuch a typical answer and nothing sets you apart. They wanna know you and if it’s something genuine and something that you want to actual change, they see that as real and even mature. That’s how i Answer the personal questions anyway and it seemed to make them remember me xD. But yeah don’t like say something that’s super red flaggy either.

59 minutes ago, IMislove said:

Disagree, that’s such a cop out and they know it. They will know thatsbsuch a typical answer and nothing sets you apart. They wanna know you and if it’s something genuine and something that you want to actual change, they see that as real and even mature. That’s how i Answer the personal questions anyway and it seemed to make them remember me xD. But yeah don’t like say something that’s super red flaggy either.

I guess this is one of those, depends on you, how you want to manoeuvre through your interview, and how genuine the "weakness" is. I actually do pull 100+ hour weeks often, and it has burnt me out more than I'd like to admit. It's something I am working on, and I have examples I could bring up/ in my CV to show the change over the years.

But like I said, its my cop-out answer. 

Point is, explain a weakness, make sure its not a red flag, and demonstrate how you are working towards changing it. 

3 minutes ago, chiynadoll said:

I guess this is one of those, depends on you, how you want to manoeuvre through your interview, and how genuine the "weakness" is. I actually do pull 100+ hour weeks often, and it has burnt me out more than I'd like to admit. It's something I am working on, and I have examples I could bring up/ in my CV to show the change over the years.

But like I said, its my cop-out answer. 

Point is, explain a weakness, make sure its not a red flag, and demonstrate how you are working towards changing it. 

Not gunna lie, totally didn’t see that middle paragraph of your original post, So tired. I guess it’s contextual, your 100 hours is cray. I meant more the first paraprah and people will say that they care too much or idk just not explain the context. Yours is pretty good. My bad!!

On 10/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, IMislove said:

Not gunna lie, totally didn’t see that middle paragraph of your original post, So tired. I guess it’s contextual, your 100 hours is cray. I meant more the first paraprah and people will say that they care too much or idk just not explain the context. Yours is pretty good. My bad!!

No worries! I totally know where you’re coming from! 

It’s just such a gray area, what is ok and what is not, when it comes to personal questions 

Archived