Premed 101 Forums

Babbling?

Guest RedPotato

Guest RedPotato

So... I was practising in front of the mirror for my interview... and I noticed that for most general questions (why med, why experience x, etc.) I can speak for about 3-5 min.... at first I thought this was quite standard, but upon realizing the length of the interview (30 min-45 min), this means that at these interviews we are only asked about 6-10 questions... which doesn't seem like a lot!!! Is this "normal"? Am I babbling too much? How much details from my volunteer experiences do I have to incorporate when I describe them?

Thanks for any responses! You guys are the best!

RP

I definitely babble in interviews. I even recall at one of my interviews apologizing for it and telling them that I babble when I get nervous! :lol But, I got in anyways, so babbling can't be THAT bad...

Guest Lactic Folly

Just as much detail as is necessary to give a realistic picture and get the point across... just watch for nonverbal signs from your interviewer, or if their next question starts with "so can you tell me briefly about such-and-such" :P You should be fine though!

Guest satsumargirl

Just go with the flow of the conversation in your interview...like someone else mentionned try and read the reaction from the interviewers.

But the interview IS short! Mine was less than half an hour and I remember wondering how they could have possibly gathered enough information about who I was to know if they should let me in or not. Crazy how in just a short few minutes your path in life can be completely changed!

Just relax and be yourself :)

Good Luck!!

Sats

Guest happy2bme

I too have a tendency to talk too much, in fact when answering the ultimate question "how come doctor?" I answered the next three questions on my interviewers list in my response! Unlike peachy, I did not get in. But again I don't believe that my one long babble was the death of me, there were a couple of other factors at work.

Although do to my talkative nature, I will be bringing in a water bottle next interview, the little cup I had was done after about 10min!

At an interview workshop I attended (for waterloo coop) I've been told to spend about 90 seconds per question. Basically be clear and concise. If they want to know more, they'll ask.

Archived