Premed 101 Forums

Radiology Electives

Hello,

I'm going to be in my fourth year next year and am interested in doing some Radiology electives as I currently think I want to pursue Radiology.

I am thinking of doing Dalhousie, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton. I have two more weeks and I am debating between UWO and UBC (vancouver).

Does anyone have any experience at either of these schools that can help me?

Thank you

Thank you for the reply! I think I'd prefer London over UBC. I just didn't know if one was known as a better elective

I did both and enjoyed both, about equally. UWO is known for highly biasing its interviews to people who did electives there, so I might suggest taking that one. Having a geographic breadth can also be an advantage - but I think you already have that covered with your other electives.

I did both and enjoyed both, about equally. UWO is known for highly biasing its interviews to people who did electives there, so I might suggest taking that one. Having a geographic breadth can also be an advantage - but I think you already have that covered with your other electives.

Oh great! Thanks so much. It's really appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I think s/he means that complement the field of radiology well.

Pretty much all surgical specialties especially neurosurgery, vascular surgery, and orthopedics. Radiation oncology I would assume works well with radiology. For the medical specialties, respirology is a good one. If you look at the intern year for any radiology program, that should also give you a good idea of what other specialties work synergistically with radiology.

With the widespread use of imaging, it's probably easier to list the fields that *don't* rely heavily on imaging. Intern years do vary between programs; some have their PGY-1s doing multiple months of general internal medicine, ob/gyn, and pediatrics, which I dare say are comparatively less useful than their subspecialty rotations.

Archived