Premed 101 Forums

Residency opportunities coming out of Sherbrooke?

Hello,

I'm basing all my information on word of mouth, so bear with me.

I heard that med school graduates coming out of Sherbrooke don't have many opportunities when it comes to residency choices. In other words, few graduates place into competitive residency programs such as anesthesiology or dermatology. In fact, I heard that the large majority of Sherbrooke graduates place into less competitive programs such as family medicine or rural residencies. I have nothing against family medicine, but I was wondering if Sherbrooke graduates have just as many residency opportunities as a McGill graduate, for example. Of course, this means that graduates from both schools obtained the same grade for whatever evaluation the school uses to match students into residencies.

Pardon me if this seems ignorant, I just want to clarify the issue.

Thanks.

Hello kanyesouth,

For residency choices, it is mostly up to your performance during medical school, i.e: grades, clerkship performance, extracurriculars, researches and letters of references.

It might happen that some graduates from a certain prestigious school is more favoured than another medical student; but if you work hard during medical school and you show the program directors why they should take you instead of someone else, then I don't see the problem :) It is mostly your competencies that count, not your school's prestige.

For instance, McGill students might have more opportunites, since they have more time for optional stages and hence more time to connect.

But if you could easily work around that.

Good luck with med school admission :)

Hello,

I'm basing all my information on word of mouth, so bear with me.

I heard that med school graduates coming out of Sherbrooke don't have many opportunities when it comes to residency choices. In other words, few graduates place into competitive residency programs such as anesthesiology or dermatology. In fact, I heard that the large majority of Sherbrooke graduates place into less competitive programs such as family medicine or rural residencies. I have nothing against family medicine, but I was wondering if Sherbrooke graduates have just as many residency opportunities as a McGill graduate, for example. Of course, this means that graduates from both schools obtained the same grade for whatever evaluation the school uses to match students into residencies.

Pardon me if this seems ignorant, I just want to clarify the issue.

Thanks.

The curriculum at Sherbrooke is only 4 years in length, so they have one less year to do research, away rotations, etc. In that regard, they are at a slight disadvantage when it comes to residency applications.

It's also a possibility that people in Montreal/Québec are innately more interested in competitive specialties, since the schools there have bigger/more established hospital networks, and Sherbrooke takes a majority of cégep students which are generally less knowledgeable about the field before coming into it.

On the other hand, you have the possibility to do exceptionally well anywhere. Because people on average go into family medicine more at Sherbrooke doesn't mean they are less capable, or that you should go into FP too. Any medical school will give you the necessary opportunities to attend any residency anywhere in North America.

On the contrary of what I heard from other schools, here in Sherbrooke they encourage you to choose family medicine and give you every opportunity to love this practice.

Student with good grades have as much chances to get into competitive residency as any others.

It it just that, here, almost 50% of the students CHOOSE to go into family medicine.

That's an interesting question, what about US school?

I'm talking from an impartial point of view :

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2013.html

Sherbrooke(401-500) is well behind others university in Quebec (Laval, UdM, McGill)

It would be a little subjective to say that Sherbrooke graduate have the same chance than others without giving statistics from the CARMS or NMRP if such data are available. Of course, there is some candidates that matched more competitive specialties, the question is if so how many if we have from point of reference others faculty in Quebec or Canada?

^These rankings are mostly based on university-wide research money. It will not translate to the quality of one's medical education in the least, unless you plan to be a research superstar in medical school and publish regularly in a narrow field (in which case you should seek a university that is strong in that field).

^These rankings are mostly based on university-wide research money. It will not translate to the quality of one's medical education in the least, unless you plan to be a research superstar in medical school and publish regularly in a narrow field (in which case you should seek a university that is strong in that field).

I don't agree it's obvious that the research that is done in an university attract better professor, it's a policy (more research, more money, more professor, better student, etc.). You got a point though that since every college focus mostly in research and not the quality of teaching necessary in employment or recruitment, the market is oriented in the direction of potentially of innovation. It's an enterprise. Nonetheless, we can't based our opinion on individually commentary either, e.g. like from my perspective it seems good. To be objective we must agree on which criteria we use to elaborate our rating and each fraction those constitute to form the whole.

My question is still important because outside of Quebec most of our university except McGill have no visibility, maybe internationally in a small community or group of researcher, but in the overall population outside Canada, US, UK, Australia, no one seems to know what is University of Sherbrooke or others. I agree that it doesn't influence the practice of the clinician since the PhD and MD degree don't have the same recognition. One is local the other international. The link I gave is to show that some university here have more impact than others. You can't say that the Thomas Reuters Impact factor on a journal imply necessarily that the paper in which the article is published is good or innovative, but it has a better chance to be than low-budget publication which have generally a lower score.

DM

I don't agree it's obvious that the research that is done in an university attract better professor, it's a policy (more research, more money, more professor, better student, etc.).

A better professor isn't necessarily a better teacher. You should know this. In the end if you want to become a good doctor, the important is not how "renowned" your teachers were, but how good at teaching they are.

From what I remember from the CaRMS presentation at our faculty, Sherbrooke student usually rank to their first choice of residency with the same proportion as others, but may have a harder time to match outside of the province of Quebec. But still, the fact that the grades in Quebec are letter grades and not pass/fail may account for this difficulty.

A better professor isn't necessarily a better teacher. You should know this. In the end if you want to become a good doctor, the important is not how "renowned" your teachers were, but how good at teaching they are.

From what I remember from the CaRMS presentation at our faculty, Sherbrooke student usually rank to their first choice of residency with the same proportion as others, but may have a harder time to match outside of the province of Quebec. But still, the fact that the grades in Quebec are letter grades and not pass/fail may account for this difficulty.

What about CanMEDS 2015 competence by design framework?

Scholar

Health advocate

Manager

Collaborator

Communicator

Professional

Of course it's all about teaching the individual has nothing to do about it!

• 4 weeks later...
How realistic is it for a sherbrooke grad to get accepted to residencies at UBC, toronto, mcgill.... and even more so in competitive specialities like derm, anesthesiology, GI... etc...

In my year one student matched in ENT at UBC.

A good student is a good student, no matter the university.

How realistic is it for a sherbrooke grad to get accepted to residencies at UBC, toronto, mcgill.... and even more so in competitive specialities like derm, anesthesiology, GI... etc...

I think it's very doable, the reason why you dont see people from sherbrooke matching at other schools in canada such as UBC or alberta for is mainly because those students would rather stay in quebec and or are not comfortable doing their residency fully in english. If however you are okay with doing your residency in english and leaving the province, i dont see why it would be a problem. Like tigars said, a good student is a good student regardless of the school they graduate from.

If you want to know if sherbrook's student are weak, compare them with le LMCC scale of all canadians faculty. You will notice that there are , most of the time , over the scale.

And now, exept for this years, CaRMS match success is comparative with others good faculty across canada.

How ever, a LOT a sherbrooke's student matched in competitive speciality, here and sherbrooke, and in other great school.

Example:

5 general surgery out of 4 spot here

4 ENT out of 2 spot here

2 ortho out of 3 spot here

1 plastic out of 1 spot here

5 gyn/obs to of 3 spot here

4 dermatology out of 3 spot here

the list continue

If you want to know if sherbrook's student are weak, compare them with le LMCC scale of all canadians faculty. You will notice that there are , most of the time , over the scale.

And now, exept for this years, CaRMS match success is comparative with others good faculty across canada.

How ever, a LOT a sherbrooke's student matched in competitive speciality, here and sherbrooke, and in other great school.

Example:

5 general surgery out of 4 spot here

4 ENT out of 2 spot here

2 ortho out of 3 spot here

1 plastic out of 1 spot here

5 gyn/obs to of 3 spot here

4 dermatology out of 3 spot here

the list continue

Worrrrrdddd. :cool: :cool:

How do you know of this tigars53?

You're right, I've got no way of knowing that. I never talk to the other campus' students when I see them on clinical rotations, when we party or when we go for a trip in Mexico. Heck, I even decline their facebook invitations!!!

Archived