Premed 101 Forums

Health Science 2014

Hi,

I graduated high school in 2012 with an overall average of 72%. I passed math 426 with 61%, applied science and technology with 79%, science of the environment with 73%, math 526 with 65%. After high school I went to Champlain St-Lambert cegep in social science but I dropped out within 1 month.

I attended access adult education center to redo the math classes and take the Chemistry and Physics classes. The first semester I failed 5/7 exams in math 436. The two exams I passed I got 80% and 98%. Due to certain symptoms I decided to take a blood test and I got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. I was prescribed synthroid and now have to take it everyday. Since I started taking the medication my marks have gone up. In the second semester of last year at Access I was attending the individualized science class where I got a mark of 79% in physical science and 77% on my first chemistry exam. This year I was able to focus on my studies and redid the math 426 exams I had previously failed. I got 93%,97% and 89% which gives me an average of (98%,80%,93%,97%,89%) 91.4% in math 426. I did not redo the two other math 436 exams therefore they are currently at 50% and 55% but combined with the other marks I have an average of 80% for math 436. Also during the first semester, I completed the chemistry course and got 88% and 93% on the two other exams; average of (77%,88%,93%) 86% in chemistry. I also did one math 536 exam and got 70% :/ . When the second semester started (February 2014) I got 89% on the second math 536 exam and 98% on third; average of 85.6% currently(4 other exams left) and 98% on the first physics exam. I applied to Vanier and Champlain St-Lambert in Health Science (Mth43680%,MTH53685.6%,CHE86%,PHY98%) and sent them a certificate of my medical condition. Do I have chances of getting accepted?

TL;DR : 72% overall in high school, low math marks, no chem/physics. Went to Adult Ed, now have (Mth436 80%,MTH536 85.6%,CHE 86%,PHY 98%) and sent them a certificate of my medical condition. Do I have chances of getting accepted?

Hey there,

I too had a very long and complicated road. Health problems post high-school, difficulty initially in cegep, did 1 year of social sciences at champlain too, then eventually switched into exploration science (to finish pre-reqs for health), and then did health sciences.

The problem with champlain is that they are not very forgiving when it comes to grades, where as other cegeps like dawson and vanier are. Nonetheless, your grades are good and I think you have a good shot at getting into health science.

all the best

• 3 weeks later...

ENG: So I did not get accepted at Champlain ''because the program is full''. They sent my file to Dawson which was my second choice in the Common Application System and I am still waiting for a reply from Vanier.

Vanier is part of the SRAM system and the 2nd round started today. On the SRAM website it says that there are 10 places left in the Science program (health/pure&applied). Since I did not receive a reply yet I am worried that I have not been accepted at Vanier but on the other hand, it says that there are 10 places left. Is it possible that I did not get accepted even though there are 10 places left..? Also, if I do not get accepted at Vanier what should I do next to get into Health Science?

FR: Donc, je n'ai pas été accepté à Champlain ''parce que le programme est plein''. Ils ont envoyé mon dossier à Dawson qui était mon deuxième choix dans le Common Application System et j'attends toujours une réponse de Vanier.

Vanier fait partie du SRAM et la 2ieme ronde a débutée aujourd'hui. Sur le site du SRAM, il est indiqué qu'il reste 10 places disponibles dans le programme des Sciences (santé/pure&appliqué). Puisque je n'ai toujours pas reçu de réponse je crois que je n'ai pas été accepté à Vanier, mais d'un autre coté le SRAM indique qu'il reste 10 places disponibles. Est-ce possible que j'ai été refusé même si il reste 10 places disponibles..? Aussi, si je n'ai pas été accepté à Vanier, que devrais-je faire pour rentrer en Sciences de la Santé?

ENG: So I did not get accepted at Champlain ''because the program is full''. They sent my file to Dawson which was my second choice in the Common Application System and I am still waiting for a reply from Vanier.

Vanier is part of the SRAM system and the 2nd round started today. On the SRAM website it says that there are 10 places left in the Science program (health/pure&applied). Since I did not receive a reply yet I am worried that I have not been accepted at Vanier but on the other hand, it says that there are 10 places left. Is it possible that I did not get accepted even though there are 10 places left..? Also, if I do not get accepted at Vanier what should I do next to get into Health Science?

FR: Donc, je n'ai pas été accepté à Champlain ''parce que le programme est plein''. Ils ont envoyé mon dossier à Dawson qui était mon deuxième choix dans le Common Application System et j'attends toujours une réponse de Vanier.

Vanier fait partie du SRAM et la 2ieme ronde a débutée aujourd'hui. Sur le site du SRAM, il est indiqué qu'il reste 10 places disponibles dans le programme des Sciences (santé/pure&appliqué). Puisque je n'ai toujours pas reçu de réponse je crois que je n'ai pas été accepté à Vanier, mais d'un autre coté le SRAM indique qu'il reste 10 places disponibles. Est-ce possible que j'ai été refusé même si il reste 10 places disponibles..? Aussi, si je n'ai pas été accepté à Vanier, que devrais-je faire pour rentrer en Sciences de la Santé?

Not much you can do about it now but wait. If it doesent work this year, try again next year. I had to do 2 years of social science/other programs in cegep before i switched into health. Hopefully, you wont have to go through that. Also, your grades are fine so theres no reason for you to have to go through that. Cegeps tend to over dramatize and make science programs more important than they really are. Once you're in you will realize its all a big joke. Many people from health sci wont even pursue into sciences in university, at least that was the case for my class.

Kevoss, if you don't get in, I would suggest that you complete your CEGEP in an another field (even if you don't really like it) and try to kill it as much as possible grade wise... then, if a health program is what you wish to study, there is the passway program called bacc 120 (I don,t know if it's only at UdM, but you should check it out) where in the first year, you do the science courses (CEGEP level) as a university student... after that first year, if your grades are good enough and you had a good CRC (cote R) in CEGEP, you can apply for the programs you really want to study...

Archived