Premed 101 Forums

University of Alberta OT

I just got my letter of acceptance from U of A this afternoon so the first round probably started going out today! I only had 3.7 GPA but lots of experience so that might of counterbalanced it. Goodluck to everyone!

That's interesting - i have the same GPA as you. It's good to know they considered experience strongly in their order of acceptance - thank you for sharing!

Were you an in-province/sask applicant, nhornstein?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could those students who have been accepted post their GPA's, and whether or not they are planning on accepting? Thanks!!!

Hi LeahUofAOT, I had a 3.75ish on the U of A 4.0 scale but completed my Bachelors degree 3 years which means my average is unlikely to change. I am currently fulfilling one prerequisite class which, I'm assuming, would be a condition of my acceptance.

I am not planning on accepting my offer and I was an out of province applicant.

I just got acceptance into U of A OT as well. I will probably be declining as I got acceptance into the MPH program at UBC. My GPA was around 86% so I was a bit surprised as I didn't think this was high enough for early acceptance. However I took a year off to volunteer at the hospital and work in a health care clinic.

Good luck to everyone else!

Could those students who have been accepted post their GPA's, and whether or not they are planning on accepting? Thanks!!!

I also received an email. My gpa is 3.83 and I have experience working in rehab. I most likely will not accept the offer as I`m out of province and would prefer going to a school closer to home.

Hi all!

Since UA is one of the biggest OT programs in Canada, are the class sizes, communication with faculty, and overall quality of the program compromised? Compared to a smaller program like UBC, do the student to faculty ratios differ significantly between the two schools? I'm not entirely sure if the quality of UA's OT program comes down to the number of students in the program. Is that something prospective OT students look for in a program in terms of student to faculty ratio, class size, ease of communication with faculty, resources, ect.?

Thanks!

i also received a letter of acceptance. i applied with a 3.76 (the way the U of A calculates it; 3.69 ORPAS standards). this is my second time applying. last year i applied with a 3.5 and i was waitlisted (end of a 30 ish long waitlist) and was eventually rejected. between my fall 2013 application to my fall 2014 application, i upgraded by gpa, i improved my volunteering experience and i spent the summer rewriting my letter of intent. i also reused my academic reference from my fall 2013 application for my fall 2014 application but i updated everything else. i hope this helps for those who are waiting :)

I also received an acceptance email today. I am a BC applicant currently finishing my fourth year of my Bachelors of Health Science. I could be wrong but I calculated my GPA to be around 3.9 (we use a 4.33 scale at my school). It is my first year applying and U of A was the only school I applied to, so I will definitely be accepting. For those of you accepting your offers, I can't wait to meet all of you in September! Congratulations!

That's interesting - i have the same GPA as you. It's good to know they considered experience strongly in their order of acceptance - thank you for sharing!

Were you an in-province/sask applicant, nhornstein?

OT2014hopeful I am out of province, from BC and I'm just finishing up a statistics class I need for pre-req so my offer was conditional on that I assume, but it is great I think that U of A looks at experience as a big part of the acceptance. I'm sure everything will work out for you too!

OT2014hopeful I am out of province, from BC and I'm just finishing up a statistics class I need for pre-req so my offer was conditional on that I assume, but it is great I think that U of A looks at experience as a big part of the acceptance. I'm sure everything will work out for you too!

I agree about them looking at experience. Thanks again, and congrats again!

To be honest I don't know exactly what my GPA was for U of A but it must have been higher then ORPAS. My orpas GPA is 3.57 but this year I decided to take a graduate program so I believe my graduate marks were counted for U of A. My UBC average was 84%. I will be accepting my offer at U of A!

I also received an acceptance email today. I am a BC applicant currently finishing my fourth year of my Bachelors of Health Science. I could be wrong but I calculated my GPA to be around 3.9 (we use a 4.33 scale at my school). It is my first year applying and U of A was the only school I applied to, so I will definitely be accepting. For those of you accepting your offers, I can't wait to meet all of you in September! Congratulations!

No way, I'm totally in the same program as you at the same school! But it sounds like you're an arts student and I'm in the old science program so I probably don't know you. Regardless, heyyyyyy lol

I've received my acceptance email too!

For those interested: my ORPAS subGPA is 3.63, cGPA is 3.34, UBC upper level % is 82%. Didn't calculate it, but I think my Alberta GPA is slightly lower than my ORPAS one. Based on the other posts in this threa, my GPA is probably one of the lower GPAs to get an acceptance from UofA, so I think my strength in my UofA application was from my plethora of volunteering/work/campus commitments and experiences from the last seven years, which I made evident in my two-page write-up and resume.

I've been accepted into UBC though, so my UofA spot will be opening up shortly! :)

I've received my acceptance email too!

For those interested: my ORPAS subGPA is 3.63, cGPA is 3.34, UBC upper level % is 82%. Didn't calculate it, but I think my Alberta GPA is slightly lower than my ORPAS one. Based on the other posts in this threa, my GPA is probably one of the lower GPAs to get an acceptance from UofA, so I think my strength in my UofA application was from my plethora of volunteering/work/campus commitments and experiences from the last seven years, which I made evident in my two-page write-up and resume.

I've been accepted into UBC though, so my UofA spot will be opening up shortly! :)

You got an offer today April 1? - just wondering if they fill the spots when people don't accept ASAP or if they wait until the end of April like it says on their website.

remember to check all your email accounts and spam folders too. they didn't send it to my ualberta email account; they sent it to my other account (which i thought was odd). i didn't think i was accepted as i was only checking my ualberta account and was pretty surprised/happy when my found my acceptance in another email account.

i'm not sure how they are doing admissions this year, but last year they would send out admissions in groups near the end of the month. they did not send out emails immediately after someone declined their offer.

I have heard that the OT program is planning on making some changes to the scheduling of the practicum portions of the program? Does anyone know what the schedule will be like for students starting in the Fall?

To any current OT students at the U of A...what is the courseload like? Do students have time for part-time/casual jobs? How are you finding the program so far?

Archived