Premed 101 Forums

University of Alberta OT

So I know U of A's admissions is a little different. Some applicants will start hearing back at the end March and some will hear at the end of June. I am just wondering if anyone has heard back yet? If not, when you do hear back would you mind posting?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is sort of a tangent - but does anyone know if the admissions staff for U of A are off on vacation for spring break? I e-mailed them during the 2nd week of March and haven't heard back since....I'm not sure if I should bother e-mailing or calling again, or wait until next week if they're away.

This is sort of a tangent - but does anyone know if the admissions staff for U of A are off on vacation for spring break? I e-mailed them during the 2nd week of March and haven't heard back since....I'm not sure if I should bother e-mailing or calling again, or wait until next week if they're away.

you should call them. u of a doesn't have spring break...just reading week in feb so your call should go through if you don't call them during lunch time.

I'm applying to U of A and I haven't heard from them either.

Students wi, very strong GPA (3.8+) and overall application will be recommended for acceptance or conditional acceptance by the end of March of the admission year. The remaining applicants will be advised of their status from mid-late April, then mid-late May, etc., through August of the admission year, depending on how the application was ranked during the application review process.* So, if you don't hear from us at the end of March, your application will be reviewed again in April, then May and so on.* Normally all admissions and refusals are completed and a waiting list created by the end of June.

Ill keep you posted if I get an email this month!

Those that applied to University of Manitoba should get their emails today, or at least I got my interview email.

For those that did apply to U of A OT, do you mind posting your GPA so that those of us waiting to hear back regarding an admission offer know where they stand somewhat?

For myself:

sub GPA: 3.72

Experience: work in recreation setting w/ developmentally disabled children, have worked in a private PT clinic for 2 years, and have completed research with one of my professors at UBC.

My number one choice will be U of A, so I have my fingers crossed!

Good luck, OTCanada!

My subGPA is 3.75 on a 4.33 scale from a BSc in a related field...I'm not sure how that will be converted to U of A standards but I'm assuming it will be like ORPAS and bring it down to 3.70.

I have a decent amount of experience - I work in mobility research with a variety of populations, volunteer with 3 different programs at a care centre, volunteered with a senior's mobility study where I helped with a bunch of exercise programs and assisted with cognitive assessments. I also work with an outreach program at inner city elementary schools. I also shadowed an OT once a week for a month in a variety of situations....and I also have lots of other research experience and a publication in other health fields.

I think the strongest part of my application is my references. Both of them i have 1+ years of research experience with, both of them I was the top student in a course they taught prior to researching with them, and I know they really strongly supported me going into this field.

My GPA is right over that 3.8 mark so I am hoping to hear sooner rather than latter. I have experience with kids in a variety of settings including children with special needs. I have done a fair amount of volunteering in different settings. I have pretty limited research experience though.

I received my invitation to the U of M interview for OT at 9:20AM pacific time on March 27. I'm a BC student, and already had an interview at UBC at the beginning of March. According to the U of M website there are 84 interview spots for 50 spots in the program and approximately 200 people applied this year.

Still no word from U of A yet either... please post if you get an offer from them!!

I looked at the academic calender for U of A 2014-2015. August 28 is the orientation for new Graduate students done by the graduate student association.

September 2 is the Orientation for students in the course-based MScOT program.

I received my invitation to the U of M interview for OT at 9:20AM pacific time on March 27. I'm a BC student, and already had an interview at UBC at the beginning of March. According to the U of M website there are 84 interview spots for 50 spots in the program and approximately 200 people applied this year.

Still no word from U of A yet either... please post if you get an offer from them!!

What was your result for UBC? Were you accepted?

Sorry I just read this comment, I got my email the morning of March. 27th.

Thanks for letting us know! It seems like no one else is sharing if they received an email. If you don't mind sharing, what was your GPA? did you receive unconditional acceptance?

Hi all, just received this email from U of Alberta - I think this is the first round of offers and it looks like they really take their time with the next few rounds given the previous years of activity on this forum. I plan on declining as I received an offer from UBC and plan to stay here in Vancouver.

"Dear Applicant;

Congratulations! We are admitting you to the MSc in Occupational Therapy program beginning September 2014. There may be conditions attached to this offer which will be outlined in your official admission letter.

You will receive a formal admission letter from the OT Department via post that will contain all of the details of your admission including any conditions, a confirmation of admission form and the Calgary Program 'Intent to Attend' form. We are in the process of updating our admission letters and other information, and are anticipating that the letters will be mailed out by the end of April.

Later in the spring you will receive a second formal admission letter sent electronically from the Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research welcoming you to graduate studies at the University of Alberta.

If at any time you decide to decline this offer of admission, please contact us as soon as possible so that we may offer your seat to another candidate.

From this point forward we will use your UofA e-mail address (assigned to you when you applied to our program) exclusively for electronic communication, so please check it regularly.

Once again, congratulations, and we look forward to meeting you in September!"

Archived