Premed 101 Forums

University of Alberta OT

I talked to the coordinator of OT at U of A and from what I understood the practicum isn't a really big change. Instead of having a 4 week placement in november we will now be having a 4 day placement due to lack of time.

I have heard that the OT program is planning on making some changes to the scheduling of the practicum portions of the program? Does anyone know what the schedule will be like for students starting in the Fall?

To any current OT students at the U of A...what is the courseload like? Do students have time for part-time/casual jobs? How are you finding the program so far?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I talked to the coordinator of OT at U of A and from what I understood the practicum isn't a really big change. Instead of having a 4 week placement in november we will now be having a 4 day placement due to lack of time.

Not a complicated change, but that is a significant decrease amount of time spent in a placement!

From what I understand, they are making the remaining placements longer to accommodate for the shorter first placement. We're required to get a certain number of placement hours in order to graduate, so I don't think they would get rid of those hours all together. I think the change is a good thing, as having a 4-week placement 3 weeks into the program was wild.

I have also heard that the first placement is more of a shadow. The next three placements are 7 weeks long. You should be able to log onto beartracks and get an idea of the program schedule. I have heard from current students that the program has already restructured how the practicums are done. The change in the length of practicums will occur for our class.

I do know a student in the program that works but it is a very busy program. I personally will probably work a bit but only on weekends. I think it's probably preferable to not work but it depends on your situation.

Not that I know of. And I think we will be the class of 2016. Unless we don't officially graduate until the next spring, not really sure how that all works.

Yes I think you're right, we'll most likely be graduating in the spring or summer of 2016. Making a Facebook group would be a great idea.

No way, I'm totally in the same program as you at the same school! But it sounds like you're an arts student and I'm in the old science program so I probably don't know you. Regardless, heyyyyyy lol

Haha really! Are you graduating this year too? I'm not really sure what the program is classified as anymore. All I know is that it's a BHSc with a major in Biomedical Studies. Anyway, maybe I will see you in Edmonton!

Haha really! Are you graduating this year too? I'm not really sure what the program is classified as anymore. All I know is that it's a BHSc with a major in Biomedical Studies. Anyway, maybe I will see you in Edmonton!

Oh weird! Maybe it's not the same school and program then, because my school separates BSc and BA programs...there's no such thing as a BHSc here.... it still sounds like basically the same degree program as yours though... weird. my bad!

Does anyone know when/how to accept our offers? I went on bear tracks and it says "processing" or something but I got an offer last week. I think the e-mail said they would be sending out more formal letters at the end of the month? Do we wait until then? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

As previously experienced, I know what it is like to go through the application process with the UofA OT program - a bit of an anxious/fuzzy disaster!!!!! Anyone in dire need of getting some questions answered can ask me - I may be able to help. Good luck everyone :):D

Do you guys know when they'll be sending out the second round of offers out? On the website. it says mid to late April so I was assuming next week or so.

I called Michelle (admissions) and the next round will be sent out next week.

I'm nervous. At the end of my call she asked for my name, I feel like I just sabotaged myself for some reason haha. She was super nice though, just makes me paranoid she's gonna go to my file and say, nope, too eager! Lol

I called Michelle (admissions) and the next round will be sent out next week.

I'm nervous. At the end of my call she asked for my name, I feel like I just sabotaged myself for some reason haha. She was super nice though, just makes me paranoid she's gonna go to my file and say, nope, too eager! Lol

Great! Thanks for finding that out Helloyou. Also don't worry I'm sure that didn't affect your application.

Since offers had to be in by May 1st, if you received an offer for the next round can you share what time and day you received your email? I guess I am way down the list but just wanted to know if anyone heard anything this week? It would be great to get an idea on where the admission process is at!

Is it also possible the offers haven't been sent out yet...?

True, it is possible. I think I'm just getting impatient since admissions said they'd be sending it out this week. Usually if no one posts here I assume 1) I didn't get an email because they didn't send them out yet or 2) I didn't get an email because I'm going to be rejected later..

I'm currently making plans for summer and upcoming fall and I feel conflicted! I wish I knew sooner than later, even if it is the sad latter option...

True, it is possible. I think I'm just getting impatient since admissions said they'd be sending it out this week. Usually if no one posts here I assume 1) I didn't get an email because they didn't send them out yet or 2) I didn't get an email because I'm going to be rejected later..

I'm currently making plans for summer and upcoming fall and I feel conflicted! I wish I knew sooner than later, even if it is the sad latter option...

Don't give up hope! From what I read on the forums last year, many people didn't find out whether or not they got in until June or July. I understand the difficulty in making plans, though. I'm currently in limbo for the fall....not sure what i'm gonna do if I don't get in... On the bright side, this is a great lesson in patience :P

Archived