Premed 101 Forums

What is the probability of matching to a program where you didn't interview?

I think I don't understand the matching process.

I've heard of people ranking 60+ different programs for carms. However they certainly didn't interview with 60+ different programs. So is there actually a chance that they would match to a program where they didn't even interview? If not what is the point of going to the trouble of debating the merits of so many programs and ranking them all if there is basically no chance of getting matched there?

How many interviews do people typically do?

Thanks!

Are you talking about 1st or 2nd round?

If you are talking about 1st round, I think you're misinformed. I have never heard of anyone ranking that many programs. While it is possible to rank programs where you did not interview, it is nearly impossible to match.

In the second round, it's a little more of "anything goes" as students and programs both scramble to find spots. There have been (rare) cases of people matching without an interview, but in the second round many programs will do phone or Skype interviews to avoid the travelling.

... I should also add that for CMG's in the first round, the number of interviews depends heavily on the competitiveness of the program.

For people who want family medicine, people may do as few as 2-3 interviews (although these days, that is pretty risky).

For those going for ophtho, rads etc they will generally interview cross-country to maximize their chances.

The interview period only lasts about 3 weeks, so with travel time there is certainly a limit on the number of interviews you can do.

I think I don't understand the matching process.

I've heard of people ranking 60+ different programs for carms.

Thanks!

This is also possible if you are applying for family. Most family programs have multiple sights that you can rank independently with CaRMS. For example if you do 10 interviews at 10 different schools for family medicine, you are looking at ranking 50+

Maybe you're thinking of a couple's match with that many combinations on their ROL? I've never heard of an individual ranking that many programs...

yeah that is the only case I have ever heard off where people ranked that many - and that is just a trick of combinations to get the number that high.

This is also possible if you are applying for family. Most family programs have multiple sights that you can rank independently with CaRMS. For example if you do 10 interviews at 10 different schools for family medicine, you are looking at ranking 50+

actually didn't know it was that extreme :) There are really 5+ sub programs at most family medicine programs?

Thanks for the replies.

So how hard is it to get an interview (% of applicants who are interviewed):

in the most competitive specialties?

in the least competitive specialties?

in a middling specialty?

Does getting an interview require having done one or more electives in that specialty? Does it require having done the elective at the particular school where you are applying for residency interview?

Thanks

EDIT: also another question:

Someone mentioned that one school may have multiple sites for a single specialty, which you would need to rank individually in carms. Would they each interview applicants individually as well, or would a school have a single interview committee for all its training sites within a given specialty?

As an example, take McGill Anesthesiology: http://www.mcgill.ca/anesthesia/residency

The website lists multiple training sites for this specialty at McGill -- would the applicant rank them separately as well? Or are they all together in a single training program?

I remember my friend telling me that at Western for family as an example you mostly just applying to Western family medicine but post getting accepted there you then rank your site preferences. Doing it for all possible sites in advance for all schools does sound like quite the chore :)

London FM still has different streams though, right? I thought that only London - Urban and London - Regional have an internal match. Like, if you match to London - Regional or London - Urban, then you have to rank the individual teaching sites afterwards (like Byron versus Victoria versus St. Joe's).

The streams like Petrolia and CK and the other peripheral sites, I think you still have to rank separately.

London FM still has different streams though, right? I thought that only London - Urban and London - Regional have an internal match. Like, if you match to London - Regional or London - Urban, then you have to rank the individual teaching sites afterwards (like Byron versus Victoria versus St. Joe's).

The streams like Petrolia and CK and the other peripheral sites, I think you still have to rank separately.

yeah absolutely - but it wasn't like your CARMS match was every possible combination etc :)

actually didn't know it was that extreme :) There are really 5+ sub programs at most family medicine programs?

UBC has about 15 fmed cmg programs so yea 10 interviews thats at least 50 ranking options! point is you can get up to 60 with family only

Thanks for the replies.

So how hard is it to get an interview (% of applicants who are interviewed):

in the most competitive specialties?

in the least competitive specialties?

in a middling specialty?

Does getting an interview require having done one or more electives in that specialty? Does it require having done the elective at the particular school where you are applying for residency interview?

Thanks

EDIT: also another question:

Someone mentioned that one school may have multiple sites for a single specialty, which you would need to rank individually in carms. Would they each interview applicants individually as well, or would a school have a single interview committee for all its training sites within a given specialty?

As an example, take McGill Anesthesiology: http://www.mcgill.ca/anesthesia/residency

The website lists multiple training sites for this specialty at McGill -- would the applicant rank them separately as well? Or are they all together in a single training program?

Can't answer your first question.

As for the second, it would depend if the program is listed separately on CaRMs. You need to go to the CaRMS website to find out if this is the case.

Im sorry but i agree this a very stupid question

What is the probability? Come on man. You want some sort of guarantee/number?

Just put together a competitive app and be likeable. This sort of neuroticism is exactly what not to do. Especially for anesthesia.

UBC has about 15 fmed cmg programs so yea 10 interviews thats at least 50 ranking options! point is you can get up to 60 with family only

ahhh wow. Ok, that is a bit insane but ok!

don't you get nailed for a small extra fee after a certain point for each additional program you select? Thought it was 30 dollars or so.

Well ubc still only has one interview (unless they changed that). Where it's trouble is is paying the 25 dollars per site. So if you really want all your options it adds up quickly. That being said, the alternative sort of sucks too. At others schools there are some huge differences between sites and I for one would like to be able to do a rank of SCHOOL A SITE X, SCHOOL B, SCHOOL A SITE Y. That just isn't possible with the mini matches and you might get stuck in something you aren't that happy with...

Archived