Premed 101 Forums

Call schedule as an IM resident

Hi everyone

I am wondering if someone could please tell me how often are you on call as an IM resident? I know it depends on which rotation you are on, but as an example, how many call days on ICU or CCU or CTU /week or /month? How bad does it get when it's really, really intense?

Are you on call more frequently as an IM resident in certain programs vs. others?

I am trying to make a decision about a residency program based on how often I will have to do night call etc. Is there a resource which has this info summarized somewhere which compares different specialties or locations? I don't think there is, but thought I would check just in case.

Thank you :)

You should expect to do the equivalent of 1 in 4 throughout the core three years of IM, though this might decrease somewhat by R3. This will be true of just about any program; however, those that have adopted a night float system will be different. In my program, for example, we do 5 weeks of night float and occasional day call throughout the year. Night float comprises 4-5 night calls during a week (either senior medicine or cardiology). Those are hard weeks, but the advantage is that when you're on CTU or many selectives you do night call at all.

Anyway, I don't think this is a very good criterion for deciding on a residency program. You're not going to get better or worse than 1:4-5 at any IM program.

In PGY1, On many off service rotations (rheum, respirology, GI etc.) at Mac, call is more like three to four nights per month. On CTU, ICU, cardiology, nephrology it is 1:4 call. After first year there is a night float system in place. Only place I know that does not plan to do night float is Toronto.

Don't choose which IM program you go to based off call, as they are more or less the same. You should consider which career you choose though as specialities like family medicine/derm have minimal call once you're done residency, whereas most surgical careers and some medicine careers will require you to do call as an attending.

Archived