Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Global Health

I know this has been asked in the past, but can anyone who has been enrolled in the McMaster Global Health Master's program comment on their own experiences and thoughts with regards to that program? I recently got accepted into it and I really am hoping to contact anybody who has more in-depth knowledge and familiarity with the program before I make a decision on the offer. Things such as whether or not they enjoyed the program, the value of the degree for one's future, the general nature of the curriculum, etc.

Any help would be really appreciated!!!

So if we haven't received an email it's a waitlist/rejection?

I believe so. If I'm not mistaken, the first round of offers went out on May 16, which was when I received the offer. In the email, they said that the deadline to accept was at the end of May, so I'm assuming that another round of offers will go out in early June.

Hi Everyone,

I also got accepted on the 16th as well! I am currently trying to decide between 1 year MPH and MSc Global Health. I heard about the global health program from a previous student that got into med school. This person told me that the program was enjoyable and there was a lot of group work which helped in her MMI. She mentioned that the program does not prepare the students to get a job in the future if that's what they are planning to do. She also said that the summer portion of the program still needs developing.

I also got to talk to another student who is currently in the program and she said approx 80% of the students in her class is aiming for medschool. She did not enjoy the program as much compared to her classmates because she was hoping to learn more about the epidemiology aspect of global health which the program apparently lacks. She described the program as a "transition" program.. for medicine. This person also mentioned that it doesn't provide you with the skill sets to work in the work force after graduation. She also said that there isn't a lot of science portion to the program so it is questionable why it is a Masters of Science. In the summer, the students are responsible for finding a practicum that's minimum of 4 weeks with little help from the adviser. Of course, this is coming from someone who is more cynical about the program. In the end, I think it is what you expect from the program and what you make out of it!

Hi Everyone,

I also got accepted on the 16th as well! I am currently trying to decide between 1 year MPH and MSc Global Health. I heard about the global health program from a previous student that got into med school. This person told me that the program was enjoyable and there is a lot of group work which helped in her MMI. She mentioned that the program does not prepare the students to get a job in the future if that's what they are planning to do. She also mentioned that the summer portion of the program still needs developing.

I also got to talk to another student who is currently in the program and she said approx 80% of the students in her class is aiming for medschool. She did not enjoy the program as much compared to her classmates because she was hoping to learn more about the epidemiology aspect of global health which the program apparently lacks. She described the program as a "transition" program.. for medicine. This person also mentioned that it doesn't provide you with the skill sets to work in the work force after graduation. She also mentioned that there isn't a lot of science portion to the program so it is questionable why it is a Masters of Science. In the summer, the students are responsible for finding a practicum that's minimum of 4 weeks with little help from the adviser. Of course, this is coming from someone who is more cynical about the program. In the end, I think it is what you expect from the program and what you make out of it!

80%? That's surprising. I expected it to be much lower; I had the impression that the students in the program were from various backgrounds, with at least 50% of the class consisting of working professionals.

Thanks for the input, and let me know if you decide to accept your offer to Mac!

80%? That's surprising. I expected it to be much lower; I had the impression that the students in the program were from various backgrounds, with at least 50% of the class consisting of working professionals.

Thanks for the input, and let me know if you decide to accept your offer to Mac!

Yeah, I agree. I remember hearing a while back that the program's demographic was more diverse and tended to have older applicants. 80% definitely seems surprising to me. I was hoping to hear incredible things about the program, but there seems to be some issues I've heard from a couple of previous students regarding at least some disorganization within the program.

Does anyone have any input regarding the quality of the program? Is it actually just useless and mainly a "pit stop" for premeds? I'm starting to worry I'm one of the few students accepted who doesn't intend on doing med, but instead am looking at the program as a unique opportunity to learn more about healthcare, especially from a global standpoint. The program initially sounded really interesting, but if it's truly useless then I guess I would have to reconsider...

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm applying to the program this year, and was wondering if I could get some help in regards to my personal statement! To those who got accepted into the program, do you mind sharing how you approached the personal statement and cv aspect of the application?  What kind of students exactly are the addmission committee looking for?

Thanks!

Here are a few suggestions re: the PS 

-Make sure you cover the stated requirements 

1. Why you are applying to the MSc. in Global Health Program
  2. What are your expectations of the program and how it contributes to your future plans
  3. What you would bring to the program and to your fellow students
  4. Your fields of interest in order of preference

-Show why YOU are interested in the program and how your experiences have lead you to be interested in global health
-GH is an extremely broad term/area. Is there any area you are particularly interested in or would like to learn more about?

-Basically, have you thought about what GH encompasses and where you might fit into it? 
-What experience do you have with some of the things the program emphasizes? (online learning, group work, cross-cultural teams etc)

I'm a past student, feel free to PM me with any questions. 

Archived