Premed 101 Forums

Credibility of PT programs abroad

I have tried very hard for the past 2 years, putting considerable effort into academics and that has put me with a 3.61 GPA and 3.43 cGPA. If we count the Jan 2014-April 2014 courses (which didn't count when applying to ORPAS), then my sGPA jumps to 3.8.

Naturally, I didn't get into McMaster, UofT, Queens or McGill. Now I am considering schools in the States/ Europe (I have a European passport) but I am unsure of how Canada treats/recognizes PT programs outside of its borders.

Can anyone recommend any in the States/Europe (ex. Ireland, Australia) and clarify how likely is to get a job if you come back to Canada, the legitimacy of the program and just any information that might help me decide IF it's worth applying outside?

Thanks a lot

It makes sense that the University itself would say it's programs are "highly sought after", but how about employers in Canada? Do they look at it as if you were a graduate from an Ontario University? Also how does equivalency work? Do you have to take any tests after?

Thanks a lot

A friend of mine got into the PT program in Dublin. It is only 2 years long. His GPA was 3.0 BSc. in Kinesiology. D'Youville is 3 years. You get DPT, but no one needs it in Canada, plus Dublin is more fun than Buffalo. He was also accepted in Australia somewhere, but did not go.

I have tried very hard for the past 2 years, putting considerable effort into academics and that has put me with a 3.61 GPA and 3.43 cGPA. If we count the Jan 2014-April 2014 courses (which didn't count when applying to ORPAS), then my sGPA jumps to 3.8.

Naturally, I didn't get into McMaster, UofT, Queens or McGill. Now I am considering schools in the States/ Europe (I have a European passport) but I am unsure of how Canada treats/recognizes PT programs outside of its borders.

Can anyone recommend any in the States/Europe (ex. Ireland, Australia) and clarify how likely is to get a job if you come back to Canada, the legitimacy of the program and just any information that might help me decide IF it's worth applying outside?

Thanks a lot

A 3.61 to 3.8 GPA jump is huge - it could be the deciding factor this cycle. Work for a year/travel/pursue other passions and re-apply. I am sure it must be frustrating but you probably have a decent shot with the improved GPA so don't risk going abroad. You worked hard and stuck with your plan and have run into a small road block. If you were going to go abroad for PT you might has well have done it earlier in your planning. Don't give up before giving it your best shot (which would be this upcoming cycle). Make sure your references/CV are decent or presented in your application in a mature and thoughtful way. My 2cents. Good luck

Totally agree with Docmm (I'll be going back to do the PT program here in Quebec at almost 35y.o.). Try to get some experience shadowing in a PT clinic or even work there as a volunteer, that will look good on your resume.

Going abroad, like for chiropractics or medical schools, is not a great idea if you want to practice here. Canada, for health professions, is very picky and you'll end up having to take some equivalency classes so loosing another year or two...

Don't give up, some universities value experience and volunteer work in the application process!

A 3.61 to 3.8 GPA jump is huge - it could be the deciding factor this cycle. Work for a year/travel/pursue other passions and re-apply. I am sure it must be frustrating but you probably have a decent shot with the improved GPA so don't risk going abroad. You worked hard and stuck with your plan and have run into a small road block. If you were going to go abroad for PT you might has well have done it earlier in your planning. Don't give up before giving it your best shot (which would be this upcoming cycle). Make sure your references/CV are decent or presented in your application in a mature and thoughtful way. My 2cents. Good luck

Wow, I guess that's what I like to hear, except it would be really debilitating if I didn't get in again. I might just reapply then.

My volunteering/experiencing is lacking a little but because I couldn't find a volunteering position last year. I literally google mapped every single physio location in the downtown and dropped off the resume but not a single one of the places was the type where they hired Kinesiologists: they were all the 1on1 physio:patient type.

Also my biggest deciding factor is if the education abroad will be treated as an international student or a local one. Since I have European citizenship, is there a possibility that I'll be able to pay local fees? I simply cannot afford 15-25k/year tuition, OSAP doesn't cover such things either.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand why you are worried about studying abroad. I know bunch of people that graduated from other countries as PTs and none of them had any problems getting either license or employment. If PT is what you really want, then don't waste your time and apply either to Ireland or D'Youville in Buffalo. If you are concerned, send me PM and I will get you in touch with people who are studying there. You can ask them questions. On the other hand, if it was me having EU citizenship, I would apply to Med school in Ireland, do residency there and come back to practice in Canada. If you are too lazy to write an MCAT, you can apply to 5 year program there. Study extra year and spare yourself a headache of MCAT.

Archived