Premed 101 Forums

Finished 4 years of McMaster Health Science: best premed

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even without inflation, Health scis get a lot of opportunities that might seem unfair such as Learnlink folders that have all the past tests for a lot of commonly enrolled courses that are not available to anyone else, research opportunities (especially clinical research) advertised to them through learnlink, health sci scholarships, etc... , profs are more willing to write ref letters, a lot of opportunities to get involved in clubs, ECs through the support of the program, get to have cadaver labs, simulated patients interviews, the list goes on and on and on...

You're right, the program creates a superior learning environment and networks students and faculty better with one another. We do have lots of opportunities for ECs, reference letters and unique learning experiences. I hope other faculties begin to adapt similar principles.

You're right, the program creates a superior learning environment and networks students and faculty better with one another. We do have lots of opportunities for ECs, reference letters and unique learning experiences. I hope other faculties begin to adapt similar principles.

Don't think of it as the program, but the students that are in the program... The learning environment and added opportunities only benefit those that seek it.

What does everyone think about this?

Health sciences students in the global health specialization can go on an ELE (embedded learning experience) where they go to a rural area or a foreign country for four months in their third year. Until last year, everybody in the global health specialization who take that course automatically get five A+'s in their third year.

Edit: The course I am referring to is HTH SCI 3A15, a fifteen unit course: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/globalhealth_level3_courses.html

What does everyone think about this?

Health sciences students in the global health specialization can go on an ELE (embedded learning experience) where they go to a rural area or a foreign country for four months in their third year. Until last year, everybody in the global health specialization who take that course automatically get five A+'s in their third year.

Ok, I'm going to need some proof for that one

Edit: Checked out the link, but it's not too helpful

Ok, I'm going to need some proof for that one

Edit: Checked out the link, but it's not too helpful

ehh the only proof i can offer is the tons of pics of my old health sci friends that they would upload on facebook throughout the term about the trip they went on. just straight scuba diving, animal riding, beach pics for 4 months while everyone at school studied lol. it is pretty much a vacation for them and they get 5 4.0s for it. some chick went to india for 4 months and just stayed with her family the whole time. dont know what she did but got the 5 4.0s and a long stay with her family out of it.

ehh the only proof i can offer is the tons of pics of my old health sci friends that they would upload on facebook throughout the term about the trip they went on. just straight scuba diving, animal riding, beach pics for 4 months while everyone at school studied lol. it is pretty much a vacation for them and they get 5 4.0s for it. some chick went to india for 4 months and just stayed with her family the whole time. dont know what she did but got the 5 4.0s and a long stay with her family out of it.

I don't think that's entirely true. I have friends in the global health specialization, and they have told me the work they put in, how eye-opening and meaningful the experience was. They definitely learn a lot from the hands-on experience that they get. From what I understand, this course does give you a lot of time to travel and stay with your family, but that does not mean that's all they did. The ELE is not as meaningless as you paint it out to be.

In my opinion, I think that the people who go on their ELE learn and mature a lot, and really prepare them for the medical school or global health professions. It also gives them a lot to talk about in their interviews.

However, I'm just not sure how anyone going into that specialization can expect with 100% certainty that they can get five A+'s, no matter how hard they're willing to work or how intelligent they may be. It just doesn't seem fair to those not in the specialization (and in other programs), who may also be willing to work hard, are intelligent individuals, and end up not getting five A+'s.

I don't think that's entirely true. I have friends in the global health specialization, and they have told me the work they put in, how eye-opening and meaningful the experience was. They definitely learn a lot from the hands-on experience that they get. From what I understand, this course does give you a lot of time to travel and stay with your family, but that does not mean that's all they did. The ELE is not as meaningless as you paint it out to be.

In my opinion, I think that the people who go on their ELE learn and mature a lot, and really prepare them for the medical school or global health professions. It also gives them a lot to talk about in their interviews.

However, I'm just not sure how anyone going into that specialization can expect with 100% certainty that they can get five A+'s, no matter how hard they're willing to work or how intelligent they may be. It just doesn't seem fair to those not in the specialization (and in other programs), who may also be willing to work hard, are intelligent individuals, and end up not getting five A+'s.

I would love to go travel and learn about global health and get 5 A+s, this is like killing three birds in one stone. Plus, this experience is amazing, whether med school or not! The amount of money and time McMaster tries to make the health sci program better is incredible while neglecting to improve other programs!

I would love to go travel and learn about global health and get 5 A+s, this is like killing three birds in one stone. Plus, this experience is amazing, whether med school or not! The amount of money and time McMaster tries to make the health sci program better is incredible while neglecting to improve other programs!

as someone mentioned, the global health specialization program has been greatly revamped, and it is much more difficult now.

As for your second point, it only makes sense for mcmaster to invest more money into its more renowned program.

What? You do realize that the global health ELE is STUDENT funded. Students have to make up the costs of the trip, including residence and airfare, through either their own pockets or fundraising/travel scholarships.

This is in addition to the ~$3000 they pay the registrar for 15 units of courses.

Speaking more generally about the program, we shouldn't really think about more funding. It's about where the funding goes and the passion of the faculty in the program.

Most of the facilitators in BHSc are actually paid meagre wages because they decide to volunteer their time to participate in the inquiry process. They believe the system works and so invest themselves in it. We do not have a low student-facilitator ratio because we get lots of funding and thus can afford it - the facilitators that are there do it because they want to.

I have to kindly ask that the next time you make interesting claims to supplement them with evidence. It is only a courtesy to the people reading that they be subject to evidence-based lines of reasoning rather than personal opinions. If you present evidence we get an unfair amount of funding, I'll gladly change my opinion to match the evidence I see.

^i dont understand what makes you think that that person assumed students didnt pay for that trip. they were probably speaking in general about the programs funding.

The superiority of which is also an unsubstantiated claim.

He/she cited "simulated patient interviews" and "cadaver labs" as proof of our superior funding. Simulated patient interviews occur in inquiry, and we have no professors in this course, midterms or exams. Facilitators essentially volunteer their time to the course. Thus, it only makes sense that the funding go towards other opportunities not in traditional courses. The issue is not of more funding, but of allocation of funding.

Cadaver labs are not unique to BHSc students but are also available to midwives, engineers and medical students. They share the learning space. This isn't reflective of BHSc-specific funding but of the allocation of funds in the Faculty of Health Sciences. I am aware that the Faculty as a WHOLE is funded more per-student than other faculties...however, that is something to take up with the province. They determine the funding and health-care is naturally very valued.

Archived