Premed 101 Forums

Doing MSc or Going Abroad?

Hi folks,

So I'm in a bit of a game of tug-o'-war at the moment. I was wait-listed for dental school at UWO this cycle but feel like my chances of getting off it are quite low. I've been brainstorming back-ups for the past month and so far here are my options:

A) I've secured an MSc. position (in pathology) in a hospital with state-of-the-art facilities and what seems to be with a reputable faculty. The lab atmosphere seems to be very no-BS, "make sure you get the research but if you do, you will be rewarded" kind of thing. I'm drawn to this lab because the research sounds interesting, it seem squire prestigious and it's in a hospital so there's lots of exposure. The super ambitious, proud side of me likes this option.

B) I have a dual citizenship from Poland and am strongly considering doing dentistry there (in the english language), specifically in Poznan. The difference here versus other applicants is that I would probably stay in Poland/the EU, because quite frankly I'm not exactly enjoying living in Canada. Poland obviously has its cons but I have family there, there's so much culture, so many more things to do (ie. a great environment for students), I can travel, and I can move to another country within the EU once I'm done, if I want to. The impatient, adventurous side of me prefers this option; however, even though the education there is very difficult (contrary to what many people believe - trust me, my parents and family are from there), I may still feel like I "failed" myself because I couldn't get into a DS here.

Now I'm torn because as we all know, the future is unpredictable and you never know what might happen. What if something happens in Poland and I decide that I want to come back? It's not impossible but it's definitely harder to do so. Maybe I'm just thinking way too ahead of myself though, because right now I feel super impatient to get out of the GTA and start practicing what I always wanted to do. Getting an MSc. will definitely improve my chances of getting into dental school here, but it by no means guarantees it.

Oh, and here are my stats, for reference:

89.9% best 2 years

DAT: RC22 AA21 PAT25

I only got an interview invite to UWO.

If anyone has any input or most preferably, experience with either path, then it would be very much appreciated because I am slowly going crazy haha :D

Archived