Premed 101 Forums

the dreaded open-ended question

Guest MedCandidate1001

Guest MedCandidate1001

I have noticed that my interviewers usually start with the question "Tell me about yourself." 8o They should have my basic info and biological sketch. So can anyone give me an idea of what committees are looking for in an answer that doesn't sound redundant or overly-simplistic?

Thanks!!

Guest peachy

I dunno what interviewers are looking for, and I think I answered this question poorly in both my interviewers so far. But thinking about my upcoming Western interview (which is closed-file, so the interviewers know nothing about me), I finally realized that coming up with an answer to this question could actually be fun. I think that if I were to reapproach the question for open-file interviews, I'd answer it as if they DIDN'T have my information in front of me. That makes it easier to think about what things I want to get across in the first minute of the interview about why they should accept me.

I also found that "Tell me about yourself" was often tied together with questions like "What's brought you to this point" or "Why medicine", and I wasn't prepared for that combination.

What are they looking for?

I think they really just want to break the ice. I mean if you can't talk about yourself, then what can you talk about. There is nothing that "they are looking for".... just tell them about who you are, where you are from. For example,

So tell us about yourself Bill (or Sue)?

Bill/Sue: Well, I am an undergraduate at the University of ___, currently studying ______. I have found these years really rewarding, and because of my great experience I have been motivated to join various campus clubs, such as the ____, ____ and the ____. I was born and raised in ____ and I have 2 brothers, 1 sister and a cat named fluffles. In my spare time I enjoy reading, playing soccer and cooking. In fact, cooking is one of my stress-relief methods that I developed in my undergrad years!

Now the interview can begin.....

Guest Cramguy

Hello guys,

In clinical skills, this is referred to as a context question, which is something like "identifying information". I believe you can think about this question the same way in a med school admissions interview.

Do a short, 20-30 second brief note on yourself to give the interviewer a context in which to evaluate you. When I answered this question, I spent about several days writing the content of what I wanted to say (not the actual words, but the ideas I wanted to convey).

I think generally speaking, you can talk about your family, where you studied, what you studied, why you studied it, where you worked, and finally what brought you here today (for medicine). That sequence of things to say leads very well into an interview.

Hope that helps

Cramguy

UBC Med I

Guest grandmellon

Hey cram guy, those were really good suggestions... What would you say is that hardest question they asked you on your interview... and which one's did you not expect? :rollin

Guest Cramguy

I guess there are two schools of thought (maybe more?) when it comes to med school interviews: those that believe you should prepare as little as possible and be natural and those that believe preparation is absolutely necessary.

I'm with the latter group. When I went into my interviews I really went in very well prepared, and so any question they threw at me I had already put thought into it prior to walking into the interview room.

There were questions I found challenging while I was preparing. These were questions dealing with "challenges" and "lessons learned". As always, it is more difficult the less life experience one has had; and even if one has had a lot of life experiences, it is difficult to choose because rarely anything is particularly "glamorous".

I would suggest reflecting a lot, prior to your interview, on these types of tought questions, questions you know that you will be asked but you haven't put much thought into.

I don't know if I answered your question, but as interviews go, it is basically all the same. Just stay cool, calm, and stay grounded. Approach each question with the attitude that the answer means something to you, and that whoever is listening to you can tell that you've put thought into your answer. If you don't know the answer, say, "I have to admit I don't have much expertise in this area, but knowing what I know, I think..." This gives you a way out in case you say something "stupid."

Also remember that you should be confident when you're in there, but at the same time the way you answer should reflect your humbleness and readiness to learn from your mistakes (this is my opinion, only). Example, answer in a straightforward manner, down to earth, but acknowledge that you don't know everything if you are asked a question where you really don't know everything.

I think if you approach any question with this attitude, then you should be fine. They really don't ask you any overly difficult question, but with your sympathetic nervous system active, any question may seem difficult. Not sure if I answered you question, but I hope that helps.

Good luck

Cramguy

UBC Med I

Archived