Premed 101 Forums

Can Becoming a Resident of another province increase chances?

Hi,

I was born in and grew up in BC. However, a lot of Ontario medical schools such as McMaster, NOSM, Ottawa and Queens appeal to me. I am just wondering if becoming an Ontario resident would increase my chances of getting accepted, despite the fact that I am going to be doing my undergraduate degree at UBC. Thanks.

LOL, all Ontario residents dream of having residency in the other provinces. I'd say becoming a resident of Alberta, Quebec, or the Maritimes is much much muchhhhh better than becoming a resident of Ontario (which I think would harm your application rather than help, considering you can only claim residency in one province at a time).

Lol, no. Ontario is the worst place in the world to move to if you want to become competitive at medical schools. Realistically your chance would only increase at Mac if you are an Ontario resident. I can write a book on how stupid the system is, but that would be a waste of time because it's not going to change anything.

Ontario residents have the least advantage compared to residents of any other province. Queen's and Toronto don't care where you are from. The other four schools do, but to varying degrees and with a range of different criteria, and Ontario resident status only really matters at two of them.

Moving to Ontario will likely lower your chances.

Ontario residents have the least advantage compared to residents of any other province. Queen's and Toronto don't care where you are from. The other four schools do, but to varying degrees and with a range of different criteria, and Ontario resident status only really matters at two of them.

Moving to Ontario will likely lower your chances.

yeah we have REGIONAL biases in ontario, but not PROVINCIAL ones. Growing up close to London area, Ottawa area, or Northern Ontario will help you at corresponding schools but you will not have done any of that so moving here won't matter.

Better to think of it this way - you are already not disadvantaged compared to most other people from Ontario :) Apply away!

Hi,

I was born in and grew up in BC. However, a lot of Ontario medical schools such as McMaster, NOSM, Ottawa and Queens appeal to me. I am just wondering if becoming an Ontario resident would increase my chances of getting accepted, despite the fact that I am going to be doing my undergraduate degree at UBC. Thanks.

Truthfully, moving to Ontario will not make you significantly more competitive for medical school. On the other hand, moving to the Yukon for a couple of years could make you IP at like ~4-5 schools.

Truthfully, moving to Ontario will not make you significantly more competitive for medical school. On the other hand, moving to the Yukon for a couple of years could make you IP at like ~4-5 schools.

ha- for now at least. Any over exploited strategy is relatively rapidly shut down.

ha- for now at least. Any over exploited strategy is relatively rapidly shut down.

Agreed. Truthfully, nothing will ever beat a ridiculous work ethic when the ultimate goal is getting into medical school. I think its far more feasible to rewrite the mcat, take an extra year of courses to boost the GPA instead of completely uprooting oneself to gain IP status for a few schools.

The only school that ontario resident status helps with is Mac since 95% of people they interview must be from Ontario.

No schools in Ontario have seats reserved for IP applicants

85%, unless they changed it since I last looked.

Oh my gosh, if that plan became over-exploited people in the territories would be thrilled. Seriously, the whole population of the Yukon is about 30,000. If a bunch of premeds moved here and started volunteering, working it would be awesome for the community. And it's 4 schools, BTW, plus our special MUN seat. :cool:

LOL, all Ontario residents dream of having residency in the other provinces. I'd say becoming a resident of Alberta, Quebec, or the Maritimes is much much muchhhhh better than becoming a resident of Ontario (which I think would harm your application rather than help, considering you can only claim residency in one province at a time).

I'm actually a resident of Quebec and Ontario. Quebec has different conditions about your residency than other provinces (i.e. if you were born in Qc you are considered a resident for life -- my case).

Do many people actually do residency in Qc if they're not from there? I'd consider it, but dat low salary...

Haha the good thing is there is next to zero chance that the strategy will ever be over-exploited. Who wants to go to Yukon???

Ontario basically has no advantages, except Mac. Ottawa has lower cut-off GPA for Ottawa-region people, but if you have a 3.9 or anything high enough to make the normal cut-offs anyways, it doesn't help you. And Western is only if you're from that region.

Haha the good thing is there is next to zero chance that the strategy will ever be over-exploited. Who wants to go to Yukon???

I for one am a little sad that I have to leave my home (in a territory) to go to school. But because that's the prevailing thought regarding the Yukon, it won't be over exploited. :)

If I didn't have a family I would totally move to the Yukon, whether or not it helped with residency requirements! I lived there for ~2 months doing a research project in 2010 and loved it. I was actually just looking at U of A residency programs where you can spend some time in the Yukon, so we'll see what happens in 4 years... Too bad midwifery isn't authorized there, or I would do a placement there if that's what I end up in instead of med.

I for one am a little sad that I have to leave my home (in a territory) to go to school. But because that's the prevailing thought regarding the Yukon, it won't be over exploited. :)

My husband is from the NWT and we've seriously considered spending some years in the territories after our kids are grown (which will be only 5 or so years after I'm done school.) We are in the same position - we HAVE to leave for me to attend med school, since PEI doesn't have one.

Archived