Premed 101 Forums

Mock 22: Historical events that affected healthcare?

Guest Emila

I think it was in the late 1960s that Lester Pearson instated the Medical Care Act (medicare) with universal, public coverage.

Then the Canada Health Act came into being in 1984 but I don't really know how it was different from the earlier healthcare system. Were the healthcare standards not national before?

Anyone know other important events?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

How about the Crimean War? Florence Nightingale's nursing philosophies emerged among the atrocities there, which contemporary nursing practices continue to hold dear.

WWI and the inaugural use of penicillin. It was due to Fleming's furry discovery that many more young men returned home to their families, alive.

Plenty more must abound, I'm sure, but these are a couple to get things started.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

The eradication of small pox (case fatality 40%).

The invention of vaccines (when was the last time a perosn was infected with polio in Canada)?

The discovery of the different blood groups

I'd agree with the invention of antibiotics

Guest Namgalsip

Hey Emila,

Here's a quote taken from the health Canada web site. I hope it answers your question.

"The most striking difference between the old acts and the new Canada Health Act was the addition of provisions aimed at eliminating direct charges to patients in the form of extra-billing and user charges, with respect to insured health care services. These charges are discouraged under the Act by being subject to mandatory dollar-for-dollar deductions from the federal transfer payments to the provinces and territories."

Nams

Guest UWOMED2005

Development of new drugs - I believe ACE inhibitors, Angiotensin-II receptor antagonists, Beta-Blockers, SSRIs (ie Prozac), Viagara, and a lot of others have all come on the market in the last twenty years.

Another extremely significant event for Ontario - in 1993 the Rae government decided to slash the number of medical school seats across the province. That shortsightedness, along with the aging of the Baby-boomers is a huge cause of the physician shortage we're experiencing now - which is affecting the way care is given.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi Emila,

Within the last 20 years here's a biggie: the emergence of HIV as a pandemic. Its effects may be felt in many places: legislative arenas, research arenas, adminstrative arenas, and that doesn't encompass its burden on health care systems everywhere.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Tommy Douglas.

Saskatchewan Premier (1942-1960) and founding father of both the NDP and Medicaire.

Douglas introduced universal hospitalization at a fee of $5 per year per person in Saskatchewan in 1947. "It is paid out of the treasury. Instead of the burden of those hospital bills falling on sick people, it is spread over all the people," Douglas said.

Twelve years later (1959) when the province's finances seemed to him to be strong enough, Douglas announced the coming of the universal, pre-paid, publicly administered, medicare plan. His goal was to provide high quality care, including preventive care, in a forum that was accepted by both providers and receivers of the medical service.

Cheers,

Matt

Archived