Premed 101 Forums

NOSM Application: 2015 Admission

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Medical schools are always tinkering around with the admissions process. Usually of course it is only small changes and within the black box so applicants aren't aware of it.

NOSM has played around with new things; such as adding acting stations to the MMI, changing how they calculate your GPA and other smaller items. So this is all a part of the fluidity that is medical school admissions albeit a significant change for those who will be finish high on the wait list this upcoming admissions cycle (CASPer beta testing year) and reapplying the following year where they are not guaranteed to get closer to admission based on previous year's performance due to the possible inclusion of CASPer in years after that.

Admission to medical school is only getting harder as people know ... My advice is get in quickly so you don't have to worry about admission any longer. :)

Beef

• 3 months later...

Hey MDwannabe02,

I applied to NOSM and Mac, but i felt it went pretty good. There were a couple of questions that threw me off even though I prepared, but kudos to Mac for the clever scenarios. I think I nailed the personal questions, but there were definitely a question or two which I have no idea how I fared. This is first time applying to med so at the very least I looked at CASPer as good practice for any future MMI's. How do you feel?

Ask me in January when invites go out how I feel about CASPer :P

Let's just say I'm glad NOSM's only beta-testing the CASPer this year, haha! But when (because I'm assuming it will eventually be adopted to NOSM's admission process) the CASPer becomes mandatory, I will actually spend some time preparing for it. How did you go about doing that? Online resources?

Some online resources and practice scenarios. Mostly discussion with a friend. Fortunately in nursing school we discuss many *CASPer like* scenarios all the time, so I've had three years of *what if's* drilled into me. I bought Doing Right and read about 2/3 of it. It was helpful but didn't directly correlate into anything that came up... I would say the most helpful thing for me was discussion with peers though.

Let's hope we get accepted this year then and won't have to write again :P NOSM would be my first choice if I was lucky enough to have a choice :)

Yes it has been very quiet on here...

I wanted to share my casper experience for your amusement. It all unfolded as I had dreaded. I had no one to look after my baby for my time slot for casper but last minute recruited a couple of friends to come over and help. My son cried like it was the end of the world, going through separation anxiety didn't help either. I was in another room in the house but I couldn't bare it anymore so I asked my friend to bring him with the carrier. I strapped him in, front carry and proceeded to do the test standing, half squatting to reach the keyboard and to continue bouncing him for comfort. Needless to say I finished with a sore back, soaked with sweat but a content baby. Nightmare it was to say the least!

Yes it has been very quiet on here...

I wanted to share my casper experience for your amusement. It all unfolded as I had dreaded. I had no one to look after my baby for my time slot for casper but last minute recruited a couple of friends to come over and help. My son cried like it was the end of the world, going through separation anxiety didn't help either. I was in another room in the house but I couldn't bare it anymore so I asked my friend to bring him with the carrier. I strapped him in, front carry and proceeded to do the test standing, half squatting to reach the keyboard and to continue bouncing him for comfort. Needless to say I finished with a sore back, soaked with sweat but a content baby. Nightmare it was to say the least!

Moobalalala it is this type of persistence that medicine needs! I was fortunate enough to have childcare during my session, but I applaud you for your efforts. I hope you get an interview :)

I applaud both of your efforts if you're parents and applying to medical school. That takes time management that I couldn't even begin to fathom. I hope you both get interviews. Just out of curiosity, did you choose to interview in Sudbury or Thunder Bay? This will be my fourth NOSM application and I've interviewed in Thunder Bay all three times. However, this year I indicated Sudbury as a preferred interview campus as I live closer to that part of the province these days.

I asked for Sudbury as I have family closer to that area that I could stay with for free instead of renting a hotel. I'm from BC so that would make life so much easier. 

Isn't the saying "4th time the charm?". :P Good luck MDwannabe02, it's quite the accomplishment to interview even once :) And thank you for the words of encouragement.

I aswell was lucky to have my wife looking after our kids.  Our home office is below the main living area of the house, so I did hear my oldest running around, but no big deal.  Glad they both cooperated during this time.  Not everyday that I have a "scheduled" test in my life.

Good luck to everyone!

Thanks rachel_RN.  Good luck to you aswell!

As for school, I haven't stopped yet.  Haha.  I graduated from my first B.Sc. in 2008 and started working at my current job.  While working, I completed a certificate (2008-2010), a Masters (2010-2013) and currently in the process of completing a second B.Sc (2014-2015) to up my GPA and make my application more competitive.  All this while raising kids has been really tough, but luckily I have a great wife!!

I am certain in the process I will meet alot of individuals in our situation.

Haha, Yeah I agree that I've been busy for sure.  I love it though, keeps me out of trouble ;) .

I do love how NOSM allows you to improve yourself for sure.  Getting the second undergrad was easy enough.  I was lucky that Lakehead transfered 2 years worth of credits, so I only needed to complete 10 courses (1 year).  This is the minimum amount of credits required for NOSM to consider the GPA from a degree.  Lets all keep our fingers crossed, and hopefully we'll be meeting each other in real life at NOSM.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived