Premed 101 Forums

NOSM Application: 2015 Admission

Same!  Studying for finals... watching Archer for study breaks...reading Lord of the Rings ... for like... the 12th time...   and also looking at applying to Mac's PA program!  I need to get a plan B on the go... this is my 3rd year applying... and while I plan on continuing to apply until I get in, I think it's wise to shoot for something else in the meantime.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a Physician Assistant at my doctors office.  He is awesome!  Spoke to him a lot about the program.  He tried to get into NOSM, but being from out west, his chances were slim.  After not getting an interview after several years of trying, he went into the PA program.

If I don't get into NOSM, I am not sure if I would consider the PA program as I already have a pretty good job.  Thoughts anyone?

I would check the job prospects of Physician assistants in the near term as funding renewals for P.A's are threatened at the moment in Ontario, or at least in the areas I have been. Anecdotally, one PA locally went back to his previous career of being an MRI tech and another one that works in the emerg where I am for clerkship has no idea whether there will be new funding to lengthen his contract after March 28th/29th 2015.

I would also recommend checking out physiotherapy or occupational therapy as part of your backup prospects. That's what I'm doing at the moment. The job prospects seem pretty good, plus OT and PT are master's degrees in Canada which can help with your NOSM GPA (if you need a boost in that section of your application).

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering if anyone has received any notification/confirmation from NOSM that your application has been received, etc? I've received email notices from other universities I have applied, but not NOSM.

I haven't received anything. I don't think I did in any of the other years I applied and interviewed either though, so don't worry.

Good luck to all. Though time seems to move slowly during the application/interview and pre-admission phase, once you are in time flies. By the time the lucky amongst you gain admittance I will several months into 4th year so it seemingly gains speed ... get ready for the ride of your life!

Beef

Beef, you are a true inspiration.  I hope to follow in your foot steps one day.  My biggest worry will be supporting my family as my wife is a stay at home mom with our two kids (maybe 3rd one day ;) ).  From everyone I talk to, they say not to worry about it. 

So for now, I just keep working as much as I can paying down our mortgage and wait...

Have a great new years eve everyone!  I will certainly be sleeping by 11pm.  Been a long day.

• 3 weeks later...

Just checking in to see how everyone is feeling, by around this time last year invites for interview came out...

I'm hoping I can hold off on checking my email until next week after I come back from vacation. As much as I want to stay positive, I wouldn't want disappointing news to put a damper on my sunny vacation :)

Good luck to all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Any advice on how to portray yourself as the ideal candidate for NOSM? Broad question I know. Having interviewed there in the past I feel like I struggle with answering whatever question they ask and giving the interviewer an idea of who I am and why I'd be a great doc in Northern Ontario. In the past I've focused too much on the question and not talked enough about myself or I talk about myself too much, get off track and leave the interviewer with a weak answer to the question. Any advice on balancing answers? I'm sure it depends on the question but and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone else starting to get antsy? I hate the waiting so long part post-interview. And normally I'd keep this to myself, but this forum's been so quiet this year...

Chain watching trailer park boys and hitting the gym has been my way of dealing with it.  Just trying to stay as busy as possible. 

For those of us who interviewed in Sudbury, we're half way there!  For our fellow t-bay interviewees, my hat is off to you all for enduring a considerably longer wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't apply this year (in fact I just started a second degree so it will be a couple more years beore I do) but I always like to watch this thread and dream :wub:

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope you have found some good shows to marathon and keep yourselves occupied for the next couple of weeks.

Archived