Premed 101 Forums

MSM Match

How challenging is the medicine subspecialty match?

ANyone in their R4 or R5 year working with USMGs?

How screwed am I for the MSM-- I failed LMCC II? (Yes, I do know English; no snarky remarks please, just took it during a rotation I shouldn't have.)

the LMCC II I don't think will matter if my understanding is correct (note I am in rads not internal medicine and am going by what all these internal medicine people are saying - ha, it is good to have friends).

Depends on what sub field - some are a lot worse than others, and it changes every year as people adapt.

The challenge depends on the specialty, site and interest for that particular specialty during that particular year (some years cardiology, GIM.. are extremely popular, others not - it seems to be cyclical).

For the LMCC 2, I know the carms website does pull your score from MCC (you have to authorize it - not sure how much of a real choice you have) when applying. I seriously doubt that the numerical score obtained influences the final decision, but having a failure may definitely raise eyebrows.

That's what I fear. My chances are already abysmal to begin with, being a USMG. Even if I apply to the least competitive sub-specialties (which is what I'm doing), I'm sure they'd rather have a spot go unfilled than take a sub-par applicant, (which is what USMG+failure in LMCCII means). What sucks is I'd have no problem if I stayed here in the US for fellowship.

Archived