Premed 101 Forums

Working Part-Time in Med School?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are many medical students who keep their part-time jobs for a shift or two per week even while completing school? I know it's a rigorous program and it would certainly be tough, but I'm just wondering if it's doable without burnout, jeopardizing grades, etc. I have the opportunity to keep one shift a week in September so I am contemplating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :o

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are many medical students who keep their part-time jobs for a shift or two per week even while completing school? I know it's a rigorous program and it would certainly be tough, but I'm just wondering if it's doable without burnout, jeopardizing grades, etc. I have the opportunity to keep one shift a week in September so I am contemplating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :o

Only do it if you love the job and are doing it as a hobby. Or if the money is extremely good ($100 am hour or something).

Quite a few people do it, but yeah, there needs to be a good reason to do that work. If you enjoy it, feel it develops a useful skill, or pays exceedingly well (and I mean exceedingly well, then go for it. If it's just for a bit of extra cash, don't bother - your LOC and government loans will provide funding and career development is more important.

I didn't find school itself to be that much of a time-sink, but all the other parts of med school, namely extra-curriculars and CV building, do take quite a bit of time and energy. These have much more value long-term than the money made at most jobs available for pre-clerks. It's also time that could be used for exercise, spending time with friends or family, and just general relaxation. To cut my ramble short, in med school, time is more valuable than money, so if the job you're thinking of is a valuable use of your time relative to the other opportunities in med school, by all means, continue it - otherwise, quit.

I don't understand why people do this unless it's for something like $100/hr, as someone said. You're jeopardizing your chances down the line even if you plan to do nothing with your weekends.

How though? If it's between spending your Saturday mornings doing zilch vs. working and making $20/hr for 4h doing something you enjoy, what's the harm? I don't see how that's jeopardizing anything... although you would surely have more insight/experience so I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Unless it's extremely interesting work, I wouldn't bother. I knew a guy in my class who worked nights at a bar and a late night poutine place. Neither job could possibly paid well, but he did.

There will be plenty of weekends in clerkship, residency, and independent practice where you'll be working. Don't sacrifice your time off in pre-clerkship to make a small amount of money. I don't think you're really "jeopardizing" anything but your work-life balance.

(I don't understand tooty's comment about "jeopardizing" chances by doing nothing on weekends.)

How though? If it's between spending your Saturday mornings doing zilch vs. working and making $20/hr for 4h doing something you enjoy, what's the harm? I don't see how that's jeopardizing anything... although you would surely have more insight/experience so I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

well if you compare it to doing zilch then sure why not - but just to go through it why is the alternative zilch? You could be spending that Saturday doing research, doing observerships, studying so you know your stuff with networking, developing more recognized ECs, studying and writing the USMLE to expand future opportunities, staying fit etc, etc, etc.......

The point is the money is the least important long term thing you spend your time obtaining at this particular point in time (saving's etc time will come) . If you do it to relax, destress or it has networking opportunities then it starts to have more meaning.

well if you compare it to doing zilch then sure why not - but just to go through it why is the alternative zilch? You could be spending that Saturday doing research, doing observerships, studying so you know your stuff with networking, developing more recognized ECs, studying and writing the USMLE to expand future opportunities, staying fit etc, etc, etc.......

The point is the money is the least important long term thing you spend your time obtaining at this particular point in time (saving's etc time will come) . If you do it to relax, destress or it has networking opportunities then it starts to have more meaning.

Frig, you'll be so tired some weeks that a morning of sleeping in will be worth $$$$$$$.

Yeesh. Doing observerships and research on weekends? It's one thing to study, but medicine can be a sufficiently all consuming career that it is absolutely essential to take time for yourself (and your friends, family, even hobbies and outside interests!) whenever you can.

Yeesh. Doing observerships and research on weekends? It's one thing to study, but medicine can be a sufficiently all consuming career that it is absolutely essential to take time for yourself (and your friends, family, even hobbies and outside interests!) whenever you can.

blasphemy - you should be working all the time. All the time :)

in mild seriousness I actually did all my research on the weekends. It was the weekdays that I was hoping to avoid become so squashed with stuff that there was no room to breath - didn't enjoy those days. Ha - personal choice.

Hopefully no one took that as in you should be all consumingly spending every moment focused on advancing your career. It is just that you do become much more aware of the finite nature of time along the way - there isn't enough time to do everything, so I would suggest being somewhat active in what you want to focus on.

Worked as a dietitian 35+ hrs a month at 60$/hr ... Not 100$/hr as many of you suggest makes it worth it but for me it was worth it as I am a spender and didn't want to spend line of credit money on video games, body building supplements and other junk I buy :-) also have a mortgage to pay :-)

Going into third year and I will cease to work.

As an addition to my last post, I did find it very stressful at times ... Such that when classmates were studying .... Getting ahead ... I had to work and found I didn't have quite as deep of understanding as others throughout the modules and only caught up prior to exams when I would cram. Glad I don't have do it again but I feel like it was worth it in retrospect though not easy.

Thanks for all the perspectives in this thread. I plan on working mainly because I teach first aid and it's pretty easy. Like realBeef, I hope to use it as my "mad money" for spending on fun stuff rather than using the LOC. I worked all through undergrad and know I can.

I think I make around 25$/hr working. I can also recertify all my classmates in CPR every year if I stay current.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked during my MS2 at a waitressing job for 8-20 hours/week, usually Saturday night and Sunday day shifts with an occasional evening during the week. I had worked 40-70 hours a week at the same job during the summer between MS1 and MS2. I went to a school where we had most afternoons off, so it made it easier to balance my time during the school year as my days were flexible to accommodating study, gym, social, etc. time.

I loved my job and my co-workers, and still sometimes miss working in that environment. Having a social circle and employment outside of medicine was really healthy for me, and the service industry can be a blast to work in. I was making about $11/hour base, but taking in anywhere from $100-$400 cash per shift. I continued to work during the summer between MS2 and MS3 while doing research as well. I quit before MS3 started, though honestly there were some blocks when I could have worked a couple shifts a week and stayed sane. I made a lot of money in the 16 months I worked there, and wish I had been working during MS1 as well.

As some PP have mentioned, it either needs to be good $$ or something you like to do or both. Some people seem to think it'll inhibit your career prospects - I disagree. You have to have good time management skills, but you can do a lot of things with the time you have in MS1 and MS2, including work part-time. I agree MS3 and MS4 should be more dedicated to figuring out what you want to do and matching well. I ended up at my 1st choice in a desirable location in a competitive specialty, so I guess it turned out well for me :)

TLDR; I worked 8-20 hours/week in MS2, loved it, 10/10 would again

Archived