Premed 101 Forums

horrible interviews

Guest joey

Is there anyone out there who has had a really horrible interview but got in eventually? How do you improve your interview skills? If you are going to post a reply that says that 'the interview is a test for a real life stress situation and if you can't handle the stress, etc...' don't bother please, because I don't believe that to be true.

thank you

Guest UWOMED2005

I think many of the interviews (UWO and Queen's, at least) are NOT stressful. . . more of a friendly chat to get to know you. Seriously - don't sweat it.

And I have classmates who had terrible interviews and did end up getting in. . . that exact same year. Your perception of how your interview doesn't always reflect your chance of getting in. Check some of my classmates' interview testimonials at www.mni.uwo.ca/meds2005/a...timon.html or ask some of the med students you'll probably meet interview weekend.

And if you truly did have a horrible interview and didn't get in, keep the following in mind:

1) Practice makes perfect. Practice interviewing with a friend or family member.

2) Every interview experience is different. Just because one interview went poorly does not mean the next one will as well.

3) You're not going to impress everybody. If you didn't get in the first time, perhaps it was because of a bad interview. Or perhaps it was because you simply didn't gel with the members of that particular interviewing committee.

My interview at UWO wasn't a 'friendly chat' and the fact that the med students had promoted it as such (and my friends that interviewed at UWO reported it as well) left me with the feeling that my interview had gone horribly wrong and that I had a zero chance of getting in. My interview lasted less than 30 minutes and was a fairly cold (as in totally emotionless) experience. They asked a question, I answered, they grilled me on my response, I defended, they grilled me again, I defended again....and then they would move on to the next question.....no acknowledgement that my last defense had even been heard.....To my surprise, I was offered admisssion to UWO in the first round and one of my friends that raved about how great her interview was and how much she had 'connected' with the interviewers was waitlisted.....just shows that you can't tell how it went based on your perception of it......

That said, I agree with UWOMEDS2005, if you think that your interview performance was the barrier to your acceptance, go to your university's career services area and get some help with interviewing skills. You can improve them with practice and with a little guidance!

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, for the most part UWO (and Queen's) interviews are SUPPOSED to be a friendly get to know you affair. But then again, the interviewers are people and their personalities are reflected in the interviews.

Archived