Premed 101 Forums

Chances Australia

Thanks.

There aren't that many 4 year programs in England, iirc. I am considering applying, but it is a major financial investment.

Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland are all part of the UK so have the same policies. Ireland is a separate country so they have different policies. 

If the financial investment to apply is high think about the tuition costs, they are much higher. There are I believe 16 4 year GEM programs in the UK, but that does not preclude you from applying to 5 year programs as well. They tend to be easier to get into as a graduate, since you are competing against high school students. 

Besides, you can only apply to a maximum of 4 medical schools in the UK in one year, so there should still be plenty to choose from. Each school has different requirements, different tests to take, so you have to really research each school individually before making a decision. I strongly advise applying to schools you have the highest chance of getting into, since you are limited in the number of schools you can apply to and they are generally very competitive. 

Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland are all part of the UK so have the same policies. Ireland is a separate country so they have different policies. 

If the financial investment to apply is high think about the tuition costs, they are much higher. There are I believe 16 4 year GEM programs in the UK, but that does not preclude you from applying to 5 year programs as well. They tend to be easier to get into as a graduate, since you are competing against high school students. 

Besides, you can only apply to a maximum of 4 medical schools in the UK in one year, so there should still be plenty to choose from. Each school has different requirements, different tests to take, so you have to really research each school individually before making a decision. I strongly advise applying to schools you have the highest chance of getting into, since you are limited in the number of schools you can apply to and they are generally very competitive. 

The financial investment of applying isn't my main concern. Of course, application fees are quite high and when you factor in applications in Canada, it can amount to a decent chunk of change. My main financial concern is the tuition costs. It seems like about 30k-40k CAD a year + living expenses.

The other thing I have to consider is how they deal with applicants that have two undergraduate degrees. I will have to contact schools individually.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get into a UK medical school you'll have to write the UKCAT, BMAT for the 5 year/6 year programs but for the graduate 4 year programs you'll need the UKCAT, GAMSAT, BMAT and some schools will accept the MCAT (note you only need one test for each school no school will make you write both tests, but some schools want the UKCAT others want BMAT, but the UKCAT is the most predominate). Its not very standardized so its best to check with each individual school. 

The UKCAT is nothing compared to the MCAT, its a brief test that probably requires 1 month preparation tops, preparation is mainly for speed since the test is designed so that you will have to think fast. 

What Schools in the UK will accept you from your MCAT? I thought they all required at least MCAT + UKCAT?

What Schools in the UK will accept you from your MCAT? I thought they all required at least MCAT + UKCAT?

For the international graduate program at SGUL they only ask for the MCAT.

Maybe its changed recently i'm not sure but looking at it now you need MCAT and UKCAT but for some schools a UKCAT should be fine. Others will accept GAMSAT or BMAT, but UKCAT is the most predominant. Its interesting because for Edinburgh if you look at their canadian qualifications page they ask for MCAT and UKCAT but if you look at the american qualifications page they only ask for MCAT.

If you were interested in Edinburgh I would email them and ask for clarification because that doesn't really make any sense.

If you want to find out you really just need to go through every UK medical school and find their requirements. Not all will offer a graduate entry medical program, but many will offer entry to their 5 year programs for graduates as well.

Archived